20 gallon invert only

doogen3421

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi there - I’ve kept planted freshwater aquariums for years but would love to get into this with something like a 20 gallon invert only tank.

My plan is to source some Gulf of Mexico live rock and go from there.

I was reading a few invert only threads and no one mentioned a sump or Refugium. I can see how it would be overkill but is it actually a bad idea due to flow or filtration or something else? I basically was aiming to have a display tank with a secretly much larger water volume to make maintenance easier (I do this with my freshwater tanks).

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, a sump is never a bad idea! The only reason to avoid it is for simplicity. If you have space for it, it’s a great way to increase total system volume for stability and a good place to hide your equipment (heater skimmer reactors etc)

OP
OP
D

doogen3421

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, a sump is never a bad idea! The only reason to avoid it is for simplicity. If you have space for it, it’s a great way to increase total system volume for stability and a good place to hide your equipment (heater skimmer reactors etc)
Thanks!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For an invert only tank, you can plant some macro in the display, that will serve as your refugium, sort of. You won't necessarily need a sump for a protein skimmer or a refugium chamber, but it is also a good place to have your heater. You can use a hob filter and place your heater in the tank. An AIO tank is nice, because you can place your heater out of sight in a back chamber. The sump's main purpose is for a place for all the associated equipment so it will not be in the display or hanging off the back. I would do an AIO(all-in-one) and plant macro in the display.

ReefStable

Reef Stable
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A sump is almost always a good idea. You probably won't need large amounts of equipment, but it still adds to the water volume and hides the equipment you do have.

I was thinking something similar to @lion king, and would plant some cool macro algaes! Maybe some soft corals and zoas too!

OP
OP
D

doogen3421

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For an invert only tank, you can plant some macro in the display, that will serve as your refugium, sort of. You won't necessarily need a sump for a protein skimmer or a refugium chamber, but it is also a good place to have your heater. You can use a hob filter and place your heater in the tank. An AIO tank is nice, because you can place your heater out of sight in a back chamber. The sump's main purpose is for a place for all the associated equipment so it will not be in the display or hanging off the back. I would do an AIO(all-in-one) and plant macro in the display.
Thanks for the help. I’m reading rock flower anemone are pretty hearty - is there any issue with lighting in terms of sustaining macro Algae and the rfa?

Most of my freshwater experience if you don’t pair your plant lighting well things start to melt.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back