Fish or inverts for general algae control?

freshturnedsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,
I've been keeping fish for years but just recently started a 40 gallon breeder. I know diatoms are normal even with freshwater. However I have a very simple setup. I'm not using rodi water, just conditioned tap water. So I'm thinking I may have a bit more of an ugly stage. Would I be better off utilizing an assortment of inverts, or utilitarian fish like sand sifting gobies, and baby tangs for algae control. I dont want to sound ignorant I'm just trying to set myself up for success. Tank currently has 2 baby ocellaris clowns, and a round of copepods.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
firstly; welcome aboard the r2r board! hello from PA!

secondly; if your tank is still new and moving along, i wouldn't get any tangs, but a rainfordi goby (hector or court jester). both graze algae constantly on the glass, rocks and sand. a simple CUC package from reefcleaners for your tank size would be okay. from there it is all about maintaining good water chemistry and patience :)

long term, you'll likely be better off using RODI water rather than tap.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may get more algae than others, but the best method of control is going to be you. Inverts and fish help, for sure. However, they take care of only the small stuff. Anything unsightly usually needs manual removal.

The other issue with tap is the copper it can contain. This leeches into your rocks over time and can become toxic to inverts making it harder to keep that cleaning crew alive.

In the end, paying $150-200 for a 5 stage RODI system will be worth it when weighed against time spent cleaning and money for CuC

OP
OP
F

freshturnedsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
firstly; welcome aboard the r2r board! hello from PA!

secondly; if your tank is still new and moving along, i wouldn't get any tangs, but a rainfordi goby (hector or court jester). both graze algae constantly on the glass, rocks and sand. a simple CUC package from reefcleaners for your tank size would be okay. from there it is all about maintaining good water chemistry and patience :)

long term, you'll likely be better off using RODI water rather than tap.
Eventually I will buy a rodi system. But I was thinking some sort of goby would do about the same job as a few snails and hermit crabs. I could be wrong. I'll probably get a few of them also. Thanks for the reply.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Eventually I will buy a rodi system. But I was thinking some sort of goby would do about the same job as a few snails and hermit crabs. I could be wrong. I'll probably get a few of them also. Thanks for the reply.
i would say to get one or the other (hector goby, or court jester goby). captive bred. the clean up crew you'll eventually have to replenish as time goes on since they die off or get eaten off (by hermit crabs or the like)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back