20 gallon long AIO tank build

JamesWebb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My little project is a 20 gallon long that I bought during petco's one dollar a gallon sale that I want to build into an all in one; with a single overflow built into the back wall and return via spin stream. I am planning on doing a basic under-over type divide in the return chamber, with some type of filtration similar to my nuvo cube, which will lead to a single large chamber that I will keep small pieces of life rock in and also house my return pump and ATO. I have a large sheet of 1/4 inch acrylic that was given to me by a buddy that I can use but after looking to cutting it I may just go to a glass shop and see what they would charge for the three pieces I need.

The plan is to build the tank into a mini peninsula style tank with the rock scape resembling an peninsula and the tank being viewed from three sides. I plan on housing mostly acan/lps corals and a few small reef fish/inverts. I will be getting a custom LED set up built by build my LED.

Questions:

1) for the return pump, how large ie how many gph should I be looking for to enable me to only use the spin stream for water movement? is this large enough? Eheim Compact Pump 300 - Submersible Pumps - Pumps - Bulk Reef Supply or would i be better off going with Eheim Compact Pump 600 - Submersible Pumps - Pumps - Bulk Reef Supply

2) for the overflow/return, how much lower should the return be drilled below the overflow or does it not make a difference? also will the size/number of slots cut into the overflow make a huge difference?

Thanks for any input/suggestions!

YankeePate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my AIO is am running a MJ900. I am now making them with a 1/2" Loc-Line for the return to allow users to use other pumps.

Filled_20L3.jpg

OP
OP
JamesWebb

JamesWebb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that looks awesome almost exactly what I am hoping to build, do you have any other pictures your willing to share?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 108 73.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back