20 gallon long AIO tank build

  • Thread starter Thread starter JamesWebb
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

JamesWebb

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 3, 2012
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Location
Austin, Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My little project is a 20 gallon long that I bought during petco's one dollar a gallon sale that I want to build into an all in one; with a single overflow built into the back wall and return via spin stream. I am planning on doing a basic under-over type divide in the return chamber, with some type of filtration similar to my nuvo cube, which will lead to a single large chamber that I will keep small pieces of life rock in and also house my return pump and ATO. I have a large sheet of 1/4 inch acrylic that was given to me by a buddy that I can use but after looking to cutting it I may just go to a glass shop and see what they would charge for the three pieces I need.



The plan is to build the tank into a mini peninsula style tank with the rock scape resembling an peninsula and the tank being viewed from three sides. I plan on housing mostly acan/lps corals and a few small reef fish/inverts. I will be getting a custom LED set up built by build my LED.



Questions:



1) for the return pump, how large ie how many gph should I be looking for to enable me to only use the spin stream for water movement? is this large enough? Eheim Compact Pump 300 - Submersible Pumps - Pumps - Bulk Reef Supply or would i be better off going with Eheim Compact Pump 600 - Submersible Pumps - Pumps - Bulk Reef Supply



2) for the overflow/return, how much lower should the return be drilled below the overflow or does it not make a difference? also will the size/number of slots cut into the overflow make a huge difference?





Thanks for any input/suggestions!
 
In my AIO is am running a MJ900. I am now making them with a 1/2" Loc-Line for the return to allow users to use other pumps.

Filled_20L3.jpg
 
that looks awesome almost exactly what I am hoping to build, do you have any other pictures your willing to share?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 10 24.4%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 36.6%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 7.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 7.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new