20 glalon fish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what fish should i get? i am going to be putting my filefish in a seagrass/caleurpa tank w/dwarf pipes/seahorses because hes really slow and peaceful. (10 GAL) i will upgrade it to 20 long in several months when i upgrade my 20 into a bigger tank and my friend took my scorp to grow it out/breed it. i have arceye bicolor and clarkii with those fish removed (i still have the file though but i will be moving it soon)

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what fish should i get? i am going to be putting my filefish in a seagrass/caleurpa tank w/dwarf pipes/seahorses because hes really slow and peaceful. (10 GAL) i will upgrade it to 20 long in several months when i upgrade my 20 into a bigger tank and my friend took my scorp to grow it out/breed it. i have arceye bicolor and clarkii with those fish removed (i still have the file though but i will be moving it soon)
Noah you don't have the experience for seahorses. They require extremely clean water and specific foods. Please leave the seahorses out of your tank.

LegalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I've been lurking for months now and I always see Noah. Who has this much time to troll forums? Almost 3k messages since November. wild
He’s not a troll, far as I can tell. Just a kid who’s overly enthusiastic.
Gonna second the advice above if you’re reading, Noah. Don’t go for seahorses, they are very difficult to keep. Start small and work your way up! How is your tank doing currently? Can we see a full tank shot?

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Noah,
I have a tank with dwarf seahorses. While they are delightful to watch and keep, I HIGHLY advise you not to attempt to keep them yourself, just yet. They require nearly constant maintenance. I test the salinity twice a day, feed them three times every day (with live brine shrimp that I have to culture as well and keep THOSE parameters prestine), and I do smaller water changes twice every week. I'm almost always in their tank and while I love every second of it, I don't recommend them for a novice keeper.
Regarding pipefish, they are even more specialized in care and especially so for the smallest species.
I would recommend a masked goby or a trio instead for your smaller tank! They have so much personality and are fairly hardy as well! Read up on their care and see if those work well for you!

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
right now i have melanurus wrasse (2" juvinile) a clarkii (3.5" adult male) arc eye hawk (3" adult) and bicolor (3" adult)
I'd recommend no smaller than a 50 gallon tank for the wrasse as it grows. Not just for the sake of water quality, but they are very active fish and need more room. Are these all in your 13.5 gallon?

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That wrasse has no business in that tank. Hawk doesn't really either, if you actually mean it is in a 10g. This certainly seems to be going beyond over eagerness and into more questionable territory.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn’t the clarkii actually female because clownfish…
And please don’t put a filefish in a 10. They require lots of grazing room and putting a fish that seems peaceful in a large tank into a small one turns it into a nightmare (think Midas cichlid in a 1000 gallon vs a 180).
I agree just hold off until you actually have a bigger tank. Already a dicey mix in that small a tank, so unless there is a bigger tank filled with saltwater and already cycled, best to just enjoy what’s already in there.
I tried the whole buying everything I wanted despite tank size thing and wound up with a lot of dead fish and probably hundreds of dollars spent. Everyone here wants to see the tank succeed long term, and you to be happy with it, so the best thing to do for now is nothing (except better equipment etc.).

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.5%
Back