20+ year old tangs

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow congrats! Also curious on what their diet consists of. Thanks for any info!

OP
OP
Timfish

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you ya'all! They get fed New Life Spectrum Marine Pellets and occasionally some frozen food. They started off together in a 75 gallon tank that was upgraded to a 90 corner in 2000. The Yellow Tang is still in the 90 but the Purple has been moved to a 110 and the Sailfin has just recently been moved to a 8' long 240.

An interesting note on the Sailfin is it was very happy in the 90 corner. In fact, one of the more interesting behaviors it demonstrated was recognition of strangers and very typical display behavior trying to chase the "intruder" away. The reason for moving it was not that it was acting skittish being in such a small tank for it's size but that it was very dominate and it was impossible to keep the smaller fish fed properly without the Sailfin getting overweight. It also took an inordinately long time to adjust to the 240 which I attribute to the much higher foot traffic the 240 has in front of it. I don't know how anthropomorphic I'm being but instead of having to chase an occasional "intruder" away it was having to deal with multiple "intruders" on a daily basis coupled with being in totally unfamiliar territory and being old enough it was set in it's ways.

OP
OP
Timfish

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ Atul@AmongTheReef Thank You!
@ Zionas Thank you! And plan to put the Marine Betta in your will. I have one that's maybe just a year younger than Elvis and is going strong.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back