200 DD tank seam fail

jogo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank failed me. It took almost two years to get and fill. After one month wet and done.
Luckily my wife was still home and drained the tank. I have a closed loop with a 2" drain to the basement utility sink so about 150 gallons drained in a few minutes.
About 50 gallons covered the dinning area floor in about 15 minutes. Most contained to the tile floor.
Most of the rock is still wet in the sump.
Disaster averted.
Everything was going well.
Now what to do with this tank.

U

User1

View Badges
First - sorry for your situation. Sounds like you have it contained.

Second - is this a Marineland DD? If so I would suggest you call them right away or whoever the manufacture is - place a call and start working on warranty to see what is/is not covered.

acro-ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
That's a shame! I have a 300DD and it's always in the back of my mind. What is the build date on your tank? (usually there's a little sticker under the trim on the back) What kind of stand did you have it on? Best of luck re-building with a new tank!

Thanks,
Ed

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
The amount of threads in the different fora around the web describing failed DD tanks is astonishing.

Then again, we don't know how many "millions" of tanks were sold and percentage of failure.

To the O/P, sorry to hear. That is probably the worst thing that could happen to an aquarist. A full tank wipeout/crash is devastating but property damage is far worse.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow!

Sorry to hear!

I personally know two people with DD aquariums that have failed and have read about many. What happened to MLs quality control?

They used to be really good tanks.

OP
OP
J

jogo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ML build date aug 2013 bought on sale
Had it drilled for center bean overflow
I built the stand
I knew the tank trim was off on delivery since a ran a good straight edge on the bottom but took the chance since no warranty anyway
Dam shame someone cant rebuild it. 3/4 " low iron glass
Not sure what to do with it or what to replace it with

acro-ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
@jogo ,
With a 2013 build date was it set up previously? I'm wondering if it was "ok" on a different stand and then the new stand led to the seam failure, or if it was "new old stock" and you bought it "new" even though it was older. It could very well be that it was defective all along and would have failed regardless of the stand. Just wondering.

My 300dd was built in July 2012. It was running for a few years with someone else, and then 9 months for me.

I hate these stories for obvious reasons....

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 200 DD as well. Supposedly they changed the silicone on the bottom seam somewhere between 2013 and 2015 I think, not sure exactly when? They were using the black silicone on the bottom panel, just like the sides. They discovered this was leading to more failures than expected and changed the bottom seam silicone to clear. Anyways, that's their story?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back