2016 apex and video monitoring

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Tsev03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting the new apex for Christmas and I want to be able to watch my tank when I’m away so I need to know what all I can use as cameras to set up. Can I just get cheap android tablets or a kindle fire? The kindles r probably the cheapest but not sure they will work. There is a RCA tablet that’s cheap but it says the android OS is something called marshmallow lol any help would be greatly appreciated

Jaculus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kindles used to work since there was a way to make the screen always on but kindle/amazon just got rid of that making it impossible for now to use a kindle for this since you can't keep the fusion display up all the time.

For now the IOS app for fusion is far better and that will run on any IOS device. I have an old IPAD first generation and it works great. You can often find them on ebay used for $40 or maybe $50

ef41e313950472ba22a6cd46f36126d7.jpg

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kindles used to work since there was a way to make the screen always on but kindle/amazon just got rid of that making it impossible for now to use a kindle for this since you can't keep the fusion display up all the time.

For now the IOS app for fusion is far better and that will run on any IOS device. I have an old IPAD first generation and it works great. You can often find them on ebay used for $40 or maybe $50

ef41e313950472ba22a6cd46f36126d7.jpg

They sell apps that you can download to still have always on using the kindle.

I was using an old iPhone 4 as a camera. I had to download an app called ipcamera that worked perfect and streamed live in the apex fusion app.

Sometimes it would take forever to load in apex though. I'm just going to install an Arlo soon because the rest of my house security cameras are arlo and I can use one app for everything. The arlo cameras have alot clearer video streams also but they don't work with apex.

I wish apex would come out with a dedicated camera.

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also use a 7" Kindle Fire, you can make it stay on all the time when it's plugged in. It works ok, but it's pretty slow at responding.
Where can you set the fire to stay on when plugged in. I've tried with mine but don't see where to set it up that way.

Ebone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you need to go into the developer options... i forget how to do it, something like tapping the about button or something... it is easy to do though...

Jaculus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you need to go into the developer options... i forget how to do it, something like tapping the about button or something... it is easy to do though...
The link above from apex shows how to do it. Problem is lately at least the ad based fire tablets do not work even with those settings.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx, the new HD doesn't have the option to keep on. You need to download something like "Keep It On" from the app store and it works well;)

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you talking about a camera for live streaming, or just a tablet for the Apex display? If you are looking to live stream your tank, you are better off just getting an IP camera, that you can monitor with your mobile device. Apex Fusion doesn't allow you to zoom, pan, etc....plus the resolution is much lower than you could get using a dedicated camera and app.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 66 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back