2016 Apex (used) - issues connecting to WiFi

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
I bought a used Apex (full set, not EL), and I'm having trouble getting it to work via WiFi. I can connect it to my router with a wired connection just fine. But when I try to change the settings in a web browser to use my WiFi connection, I can't get anything to work. In the dashboard (via web browser), I go to Network Setup. Summary shows Wi-Fi: Enabled, SSID: No Wi-Fi Connection. So I go to "Configuration" tab and choose Wi-Fi. It shows Wi-Fi: Enabled, Network: none, so under SSID, I enter my WiFI login and password and then click the Update Apex button. It says "Success: New configuration sent successfully." But then when I click Summary, it shows the same thing it said before! SSID: No Wi-Fi Connection! :( Any idea why or how I can fix this? Thanks,
--Kyle

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it's a used unit, I'd recommend trying the WiFi reset procedure. Press and hold the reset button with a paperclip for about 5-6 seconds until the Neptune logo turns blue. Then use your phone or laptop to connect to the Apex_Setup WiFi hotspot, following Neptune's Getting Started guide: https://www.neptunesystems.com/apex-wifi-2/

This will not wipe out your programming or other settings. It's just to reset the WiFi settings.

OP
OP
kyley

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it's a used unit, I'd recommend trying the WiFi reset procedure. Press and hold the reset button with a paperclip for about 5-6 seconds until the Neptune logo turns blue. Then use your phone or laptop to connect to the Apex_Setup WiFi hotspot, following Neptune's Getting Started guide: https://www.neptunesystems.com/apex-wifi-2/

This will not wipe out your programming or other settings. It's just to reset the WiFi settings.

Thank you, but I have tried that. When I try to connect to the Apex's own WiFi, it never shows a list of networks. Usually it just times out. :(
--Kyle

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, but I have tried that. When I try to connect to the Apex's own WiFi, it never shows a list of networks. Usually it just times out. :(
--Kyle

Is your home network using 2.4 GHz, or only 5 GHz? The Apex requires a 2.4 GHz signal.

OP
OP
kyley

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your home network using 2.4 GHz, or only 5 GHz? The Apex requires a 2.4 GHz signal.

I just checked all of that too (after looking at Neptune's WiFi FAQ). 2.4 GHz and WPA2-PSK [AES]. Any other ideas? :)

I also just updated to the latest AOS while I was connected with the wired connection. Thanks,
--Kyle

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just checked all of that too (after looking at Neptune's WiFi FAQ). 2.4 GHz and WPA2-PSK [AES]. Any other ideas? :)

I also just updated to the latest AOS while I was connected with the wired connection. Thanks,
--Kyle

Is it possible the Apex is in a location where the WiFi signal is too weak or has too much RF interference from other devices blocking the signal?

OP
OP
kyley

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible the Apex is in a location where the WiFi signal is too weak or has too much RF interference from other devices blocking the signal?

I really doubt it; I have a lot of other solid connections via WiFi there, but I can try next to my router later. Thanks,
--Kyle

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait...Did you say when you tried pressing the Apex reset button, it never shows you the Apex_Setup### network name in your list? That makes it sound like the WiFi radio on the Apex isn't functional. If the Apex logo is blue, it's broadcasting its own WiFi signal and you should see it. If it doesn't show anything, then you'll probably need to contact Neptune Support.

OP
OP
kyley

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait...Did you say when you tried pressing the Apex reset button, it never shows you the Apex_Setup### network name in your list? That makes it sound like the WiFi radio on the Apex isn't functional. If the Apex logo is blue, it's broadcasting its own WiFi signal and you should see it. If it doesn't show anything, then you'll probably need to contact Neptune Support.

No, it does show the Apex_Setup#### WiFi network (so no issue there). I connect to it, but it never shows a list of networks for me to choose from. Thanks,
--Kyle

OP
OP
kyley

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I tried my girlfriend's Mac, and I was able to get it to show the wireless networks! So now I'm connected properly. Not sure why that worked and my laptop and android phone wouldn't (or why changing it while connected via LAN wouldn't work), but fortunately I'm connected now.
--Kyle

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 29.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.1%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back