2020 AZ FRAG Info & Meeting Dates

  • Thread starter Thread starter evolved
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Joined
Dec 16, 2010
Messages
10,630
Reaction score
10,988
Location
Phoenix, AZ
What state or country do you live in
Arizona
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WHAT IS AZ FRAG?
AZ FRAG is The Arizona Fish, Reef Aquarium Group, and is comprised of members from Phoenix and surrounding areas who meet every other month. FRAG was originally started in 2002 by Mike Tang, Erin, Durin, Mojodelli, and Mike (bluesman). In 2004 KirstenK began leading the group. In 2007 Adrian (Helfrich Chick) took over leadership. FRAG leadership was handed off to Jason (Frick) in November 2012 and was formalized starting with the first election in December 2012. The FRAG name has been changed to AZ FRAG to differentiate the group from others. In the summer of 2013 AZ FRAG became a member of the Marine Aquarium Societies of North America (MASNA). AZ FRAG became an official 501(c)3 non-profit organization in 2015.

2020 AZ FRAG BOARD MEMBERS
President - Hunter Hammond “evolved”
Vice President - Scott Marks "CasaReefer"
Treasurer - Roy Arena "Roy Arena"
Secretary - Jennifer Hodel "ReefKitty"
Corresponding Secretary - Jason Frick "Frick"

WHAT HAPPENS AT AZ FRAG MEETINGS?
Meetings last approximately 2 hours. The first hour will feature a special speaker, presentation, demonstration, etc. The second hour will then consist of a coral auction (see the auction section for details). Prior to the meetings, everyone on our mailing list is notified via email about the upcoming meeting. A thread will also be posted in our forum. At which time, members attending can list corals for auction or request specific frags they are interested in. Occasionally “roaming” meetings may occur and will be hosted by an LFS, a member (aka “The Parade of Reefs”), or other reef related destinations. Our meetings are typically casual. Sometimes our meetings feature educational presentations and demonstrations given by respected professionals in the industry. Another exciting perk for our members are the spectacular raffle prizes and giveaways donated by our sponsors!

WHAT ARE FRAG AUCTIONS?
Auctions are held in conjunction with our regular meetings. Hobbyists are encouraged to propagate their own corals and auction them at the event with a small seller’s fee of 5% to be donated to FRAG. Fees are reinvested for coral purchases or donated to AZ FRAG for special events.

HOW DO I BID AT AUCTIONS?
All bidders must be a FRAG member in good standing prior to the auction start and have an assigned Bidder/Seller number given at the auction. On-site registration verification on the day of the Auction can be done from 2:30pm – 3:00pm. The verification period will end promptly at 3:00pm; if you have not become a member in good standing and obtained a bidder number by this time you will not be able to bid/sell during the auction (Please remember to double check your Bidder/Seller number with the club officers on the day of the auction to ensure you are using the correct number). Verification is required only one time per year and you will always retain the same number each Auction. Check-out for items bought/sold will only be available after the Auction has concluded. No check-outs will be allowed while the Auction is running.

HOW DO I SELL AT AUCTIONS?
Sellers are limited to 15 items total, subject to change. At least 7 days prior to the Auction (Friday night by 8pm) a thread will be posted announcing the auction and requesting all items up for auction. Sellers must post their Bidder/Seller number when listing items. All Auction items, including pictures, descriptions and starting bid prices must be posted on the thread by 12:00am (midnight) Thursday prior to the Auction. After the final list has been compiled, FRAG will post a FINAL AUCTION LIST to the same thread on Saturday which will list all items for sale, with their assigned lot numbers, and the items will be auctioned in the order they were posted. Sellers need to note the lot number their item(s) have been assigned so that during the auction items can be distributed in a timely fashion. You are encouraged to print the FINAL AUCTION LIST to help keep track on Auction day; lists will NOT be provided at the auction. Items will be sold in whole-dollar increments only.

AZ FRAG MEMBERSHIP FEES
An annual membership is $10 and is valid for the calendar year. To apply for annual membership, please complete the application form and pay your dues on our website: http://www.arizonafrag.com/membership/ The application form is simple and your information will NOT be shared outside the Board of Directors. Membership is required to attend FRAG meetings/events and auctions. Each membership includes your immediate family; only one membership per household is necessary. (However, extended family do need separate membership.) You also have access to the private sub-forum here in this section, but you must request access (instructions here). Members will also be provided one free raffle ticket per meeting. You must check in with the FRAG BoD to receive this ticket. Lastly, members will have free access to the common club property.

MEETING LOCATION
Various locations for 2020 - Check the Calendar!

2020 DATES AND TIMES
These days are subject to change, so please check back here often for the most recent updates. The website (http://www.arizonafrag.com) should be the go-to source for the most up-to-date info.

January 11th @ Casa Reefer's 3-5pm
February 15th @ Sisterlimonpot's (West Valley) 3-5pm
March 21st @ Tempe Papago Park 3-5pm
April 18th @ Virtual Mtg 3-5pm
May 16th @ Virtual Mtg 3-5pm
June 20th @ Virtual Mtg w/ Rich Ross, Time TBD
July 11th @ Virtual Mtg 3-5pm
Aug 22nd @ Virtual Mtg 3-5pm
September 19th @ Virtual Mtg 3-5pm
October 17th @ Virtual Mtg 3-5pm
November 21st @ Virtual Mtg 3-5pm
December 12th @ Virtual Mtg 3-5pm - Annual Raffle!
 
Last edited:
It's good to see Hunter and Jason get some help... looks like a full line up. I suspect great things in 2020!
Well they needed somebody to help carry stuff in and out.. :)
 
Any updates on where the March meeting might be? Also don’t forget to update the list above to reflect Ken Os place in April.
 
Any updates on where the March meeting might be?
Still working on that... to my own displeasure. Really trying to make it happen on the east side of town, considering both meetings so far this year have been far west.
I'd like to book a ramada at a Tempe park, but apparently as a first time reservation request I will have to do that in person at the Tempe Library during M-F normal business hours (also my work hours).
Also don’t forget to update the list above to reflect Ken Os place in April.
Ken volunteered for May.

The good news is the next several months are laid out - April at Titan, May at Ken's, June at Sealife (date confirmed, time tentative) , and a few options for July. Aug will be wherever MASNA needs us - likely downtown.

If I just navigate us a path for March... ;Blackeye
 
Alright, Tempe ramada booked.

Officially, the 3/21 mtg will be at Papago Park, north ramada. I'll get an announcement thread up this evening, along with an email blast and a FB event.

Sorry for the delay - hopefully the rest of the year will be smoother!
 
Alright, Tempe ramada booked.

Officially, the 3/21 mtg will be at Papago Park, north ramada. I'll get an announcement thread up this evening, along with an email blast and a FB event.

Sorry for the delay - hopefully the rest of the year will be smoother!
Thanks for the hard work!
 
How are things looking for the Sealife meeting this June? Considering how things presently are it got me wondering. If it can be done and still maintain distancing I’d be willing to go.
 
Last edited:
How are things looking for the Sealife meeting this June? Considering how things presently are it got me wondering. If it can be done and still maintain distancing I’d be willing to go.
I've sent a email to our Sealife contact; I'll let you all know what I hear.
 
She was waiting to hear back from the GM, but nothing since then. I'll ping again.
 
I was checking to see when the next meeting was and saw Jimmy's post. Anyone else think it aged like milk?

Hopefully 2021 will be much better for all of us!
Yeah... some things feel like sooooo long ago :(
 
I'll get an invite/details out this evening, but expect another virtual round table. ;)
 
So... life has happened a bit, and I'm a little behind...
1605384019711.png

I'm pushing what should have been today's meeting to next weekend, and I'll take some time to get caught back up again. ;Facepalm
 
So... life has happened a bit, and I'm a little behind...
1605384019711.png

I'm pushing what should have been today's meeting to next weekend, and I'll take some time to get caught back up again. ;Facepalm
I knew you were popular... But holy smokes!
 
Was hoping to be home in time to join you all today but not gonna happen. Catch you the next time!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 12 46.2%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 7.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new