20L Triton Sump More fuge or more equipment

txtrapline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up a new 40B mixed reef and am doing a DIY 20L sump.

The TLDR is if I go with a 15.75 wide fuge I can have a 20% DT volume in my fuge and still have an extra inch in my skimmer and return pump compartments without the equipment touching the glass.

The question is "Is this a good plan or should I cut back on the fuge to allow more room for equipment and if so how much?"

Having run ponds with bog filter in the past I love the idea of bio filtration and a skimmer and would rather lean towards as much space for the fuge as I can have. however, I don't know if .5" on each side of the return pump, for example, is enough or is it going to vibrate its way to the wall and be annoying.

Since it is a 40gallon breeder the water volume is probably going to be less than 40 gallons especially with rock sand etc. Even if I shorten my fuge by half to 8 inches I will have 4.1 gallons which is over 10% over 40 and I could add 4 inches to my return pump and 4 inches to my skimmer. but fuges are so much cooler. I don't see myself upgrading skimmers and return pumps and will probably replace with the same and get a bigger tank when I can. (I have a CHJ-4500 and an SCA-301)

Ignore the numbers if you like but for those interested:

I have 4 pieces of 10 inch tall glass cut I am going to do fuge first then a 10" over baffle then a skimmer section then an under over under then a return pump.

Aquarium inside diameter is 11.75 tall 29.5 wide and 11.88 deep

Minimum return pump width is 3.5" minimum skimmer width is 4.5"

Width
Refugium 15.75
Baffle 0.25
Skimmer 5.25
Baffle 0.25
Bafles Space 1.50
Baffle 0.25
Baffle Space 1.50
Baffle 0.25
Return 4.50
Total 29.50

Tank mockup with 15.75" fuge

Last edited:

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up a new 40B mixed reef and am doing a DIY 20L sump.

The TLDR is if I go with a 15.75 wide fuge I can have a 20% DT volume in my fuge and still have an extra inch in my skimmer and return pump compartments without the equipment touching the glass.

The question is "Is this a good plan or should I cut back on the fuge to allow more room for equipment and if so how much?"

Having run ponds with bog filter in the past I love the idea of bio filtration and a skimmer and would rather lean towards as much space for the fuge as I can have. however, I don't know if .5" on each side of the return pump, for example, is enough or is it going to vibrate its way to the wall and be annoying.

Since it is a 40gallon breeder the water volume is probably going to be less than 40 gallons especially with rock sand etc. Even if I shorten my fuge by half to 8 inches I will have 4.1 gallons which is over 10% over 40 and I could add 4 inches to my return pump and 4 inches to my skimmer. but fuges are so much cooler. I don't see myself upgrading skimmers and return pumps and will probably replace with the same and get a bigger tank when I can. (I have a CHJ-4500 and an SCA-301)

Ignore the numbers if you like but for those interested:

I have 4 pieces of 10 inch tall glass cut I am going to do fuge first then a 10" over baffle then a skimmer section then an under over under then a return pump.

Aquarium inside diameter is 11.75 tall 29.5 wide and 11.88 deep

Minimum return pump width is 3.5" minimum skimmer width is 4.5"

Width
Refugium 15.75
Baffle 0.25
Skimmer 5.25
Baffle 0.25
Bafles Space 1.50
Baffle 0.25
Baffle Space 1.50
Baffle 0.25
Return 4.50
Total 29.50

Tank mockup with 15.75" fuge

Sounds like you’re a planner like me! I have a 40g b and a 20g tall diy sump. Also have an SCA-301 skimmer. You have a 20g long so the numbers are a little different but here’s some thoughts. FWIW, my total tank volume including sump is 47g. I carefully measured the water I put in when I set it up to get this number. The middle part of my sump is 10” wide and filled with live rock. To answer your question about vibration, the skimmer does vibrate if it shifts and touches the filter sock holder. I put part of a silicone trivet underneath and that helps. As far as the return pump, the return plumbing mostly keeps it in place. There’s a section of vinyl tubing right above the pump to prevent vibration. Had you thought about a fuge reactor? I have a TLF GFO reactor I’ve thought about converting. Right now I use the live rock, Nopox, and the skimmer for nutrient export. Hope this is helpful!

OP
OP
txtrapline

txtrapline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you’re a planner like me! I have a 40g b and a 20g tall diy sump. Also have an SCA-301 skimmer. You have a 20g long so the numbers are a little different but here’s some thoughts. FWIW, my total tank volume including sump is 47g. I carefully measured the water I put in when I set it up to get this number. The middle part of my sump is 10” wide and filled with live rock. To answer your question about vibration, the skimmer does vibrate if it shifts and touches the filter sock holder. I put part of a silicone trivet underneath and that helps. As far as the return pump, the return plumbing mostly keeps it in place. There’s a section of vinyl tubing right above the pump to prevent vibration. Had you thought about a fuge reactor? I have a TLF GFO reactor I’ve thought about converting. Right now I use the live rock, Nopox, and the skimmer for nutrient export. Hope this is helpful!

I suppose I could put down some none skid stuff. Thanks for the reply I haven't looked into fuge reactors much I will take a look.

OP
OP
txtrapline

txtrapline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No other filtration or filter socks just the skimmer, rock and Fuge

Last edited:
OP
OP
txtrapline

txtrapline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added pictures but I guess I don’t have those rights yet.

OP
OP
txtrapline

txtrapline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll ask the #reefsquad to chime in. I don’t know enough about fuges to answer some of your questions.

Thanks. I have thought about it so much I’m starting to second guess it. Wondering if it’s bad my 2 baffles that set the water height are the same height. Also wondering if I need more room for a gfo reactor or heater and dosers (might have room for it now. not sure how much room that takes up)

OP
OP
txtrapline

txtrapline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I have thought about it so much I’m starting to second guess it. Wondering if it’s bad my 2 baffles that set the water height are the same height. Also wondering if I need more room for a gfo reactor or heater and dosers (might have room for it now. not sure how much room that takes up)
Some of the reactors can be hung on the outside of the sump (the TLF GFO reactor can). As far as the baffles, if you’re worried about the chaeto tumbling you could add a small powerhead to spin it. Dosers are above the sump so they won’t take any sump space. Where do you live? I’m in South Florida so I don’t need a heater most of the year. Would it fit in the skimmer or return chamber?

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can probably take out the bubble trap. That skimmer doesn’t produce any microbubbles in my tank. That would give you another inch to work with. Also, did you consider having the skimmer in the first chamber, followed by refugium, then return pump? So small chamber, fuge chamber, then small chamber. Where is the return? The reason I ask is that a filter sock and skimmer can get rid of some of the detritus before it reaches the fuge.

OP
OP
txtrapline

txtrapline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the reactors can be hung on the outside of the sump (the TLF GFO reactor can). As far as the baffles, if you’re worried about the chaeto tumbling you could add a small powerhead to spin it. Dosers are above the sump so they won’t take any sump space. Where do you live? I’m in South Florida so I don’t need a heater most of the year. Would it fit in the skimmer or return chamber?
I’m in Houston Tx so probably only need heater to keep it stable. The heater I got is like a 13 inch glass heater that MAY fit under the skimmer but will probably need to be in the fuge until I get something more compact

image.jpg

OP
OP
txtrapline

txtrapline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can probably take out the bubble trap. That skimmer doesn’t produce any microbubbles in my tank. That would give you another inch to work with. Also, did you consider having the skimmer in the first chamber, followed by refugium, then return pump? So small chamber, fuge chamber, then small chamber. Where is the return? The reason I ask is that a filter sock and skimmer can get rid of some of the detritus before it reaches the fuge.

Technically Triton suggests having return straight into fuge so fuge gets first dibs on detritus etc so I’m trying to stick with that.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Technically Triton suggests having return straight into fuge so fuge gets first dibs on detritus etc so I’m trying to stick with that.
I still think you might be able to do without the bubble trap. It’s taking up valuable space.

Chef Tommy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
f48ca0264c3356ebe71c40d2bca1a7d4.jpg

Before I added a manifold here is the skimmer & return area, next pic is after manifold for display refugium & reactor.

45c2a28415284c2410a91ba557d11954.jpg

f4190b2ae37a8792edd6ba46ee1910fa.jpg

I do have enough room still with the refugium taking up over half of the sump. I think I'm using one less baffle as you will be though in the return area.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 24 42.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 28 50.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 4 7.1%
Back