20L vs 22 gal, Occy paradise- Also, what is everything I need to set up a softy reef on a budget?

princesspeach12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello friendly reefers!

I should be sleeping, but instead I am planning a reef tank :p

Note: My lease says largest tank I can have is 20 gallons, but I really don't think a 22 gallon would be an issue. I wouldn't want to push it to a 30 gallon though. I am wanting to keep things low tech and simple as a start my tank, and will progress to more fancy equipment as I progress and learn more. I don't want a sump since it would push me over the gallon limit. I also do understand that filtration in a saltwater tank is mainly from live rock, not a filter like freshwater.

This will be my first reef tank. I am wanting to have pink pom pom xenia, blue/striped actinodiscus mushrooms, leather toadstool mushroom, green/pink/some color variant of star polyps, blue clove snowflake polyps, perhaps other clove polyp color variants, kenya tree or some other sinularia species. Pretty much all the "pest" corals; I like them as they remind me of flowers, snowflakes, or Alice in Wonderland. I might want to have frogspawn as well.

Fish wise, I am for sure wanting 2 ocellaris clownfish. I am wanting to have corals that they could choose to be hosted by, as I do not want to attempt an anemone in a "nano" tank, even if I wait a year for the water to be mature for one. I love the whole clownfish and anemone symbiosis, but will wait to try that til I can have a bigger tank. I've read that CB clowns will happily be hosted by various soft corals, LPS, powerheads, etc. so I want to give them some options at least.

I would love an orchid dottyback or six line wrasse, but wouldn't feel right putting them in a 30" tank, and would worry about the 6 line getting a bit grumpy in a small tank as it matures. I am interested in blue neon gobies though and scarlet cleaner shrimp. I am wanting a max of 2-4 fish (and if 4, it'd be nano fish like 2 blue neon gobies, unless they prefer to be kept singly)

Which brings me to the other part of my question, is a 22 gallon Mr. Aqua or Aquamax worth the added expense when I currently have a 20 gallon long available to use (just has to be cleaned out). I am only interested in it for the length, I could care less about the clearer glass, and actually dislike that it is rimless, as I am unsure how to add a lid to a rimless tank. I was thinking that the extra 6" of length would be nice for the fish though.

Next part, what specific equipment would you all recommend for lights, powerheads, etc? I fell in love with Kessils from youtube several years ago, so they are the only lights out there that I know. I loved how they shimmered, although a bit sticker shocked by the price.

Since I want a softie reef, is a skimmer recommended or necessary? What about a HOB on refugium?

I found a post where someone had a custom Oceanbox AIO added https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/388283-22-gallon-long-aquamaxx/ as a way to hide their heater, put filter media, etc. Would you think that is something that would be worth it in the long run? I don't like the fact that it has to be siliconed into place, especially if I go with the $$ 22 gallon tank, but like that stuff is out of site.

I was also thinking of just hanging an AC 110, and putting a heater in there. '

I am planning on getting dry rock from reef cleaners, as I don't want to worry about pests. I might try to find a couple small pieces of pest free LV locally to add to the biodiversity, but I'll take sterile rock over unwanted critters!

I am trying to start this tank on a budget, but I definitely prefer to buy than DIY, unless it is stupidly easy. I also would rather save up a few months for quality equipment then have to upgrade it down the road.

Rough plan is to
1) Cycle tank and cure dry rock, set up with sand
2) Add 1st coral
3) Once thriving, add more corals
4) Once comfortable managing several corals and keeping them happy, and they are growing and spreading well
5) Add 1st fish/shrimp (will be adopted from local person wanting to rehome)
6) Add more fish/shrimp (if wanting more than the 2 clowns)

I imagine I'll have the tank up and running for at least 6-8+ months before I am adding fish or shrimp. I want to give myself an easy out if I decide a reef tank is too much work, as I'd have no qualms rehoming corals, but would feel sad to have to rehome fish or shrimp as I'd be quite attached to them. I also would rather have to perfect water parameter management before fish are introduced.

I greatly appreciate any comments or advice!

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello- I got bits from ur post. I would use that 20g long tank and since this tank is shallow & for Softies only, I would use the Current orbit led. Used to ran when I had my 29g & did well with HOB filter.
Powerheads, ck out Jebao ow-10, there’s probably a newer version of it. You can find some HOB refugium .

3E74119C-B00C-4324-9AE1-9182F4633FE3.jpeg

Wee Mad Arthur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Give careful thought to coral that spreads fast like pulsing Xenia and blue clove polyps as they can gobble up space quicker than the other coral can grow. Xenia can be kept on an island far from other rock and it should stay there but I believe blue clove polyps cannot be restricted In this way. If you do a forum or google search you’ll see what I mean.

OP
OP
princesspeach12

princesspeach12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello- I got bits from ur post. I would use that 20g long tank and since this tank is shallow & for Softies only, I would use the Current orbit led. Used to ran when I had my 29g & did well with HOB filter.
Powerheads, ck out Jebao ow-10, there’s probably a newer version of it. You can find some HOB refugium .

3E74119C-B00C-4324-9AE1-9182F4633FE3.jpeg

Thank you for the feedback! Would you say that this light has a similar "shimmer" effect that the kessils do? I certainly like the price better!

OP
OP
princesspeach12

princesspeach12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Give careful thought to coral that spreads fast like pulsing Xenia and blue clove polyps as they can gobble up space quicker than the other coral can grow. Xenia can be kept on an island far from other rock and it should stay there but I believe blue clove polyps cannot be restricted In this way. If you do a forum or google search you’ll see what I mean.

Thank you for the warning! I've seen several posts where people are trying to get rid of xenia or bcp because they spread like wildfire and will encrust other corals (seems to be SPS mainly). I have thought about doing a xenia island, and a bcp island as well (although from my research, it seems that they will find a way to spread to the main rock structure/sand/glass) but I also feel that the tanks with the overgrown bcp and xenia look really pretty! As long as I let the other corals get established first before adding them (actinodiscus mushrooms, leather toadstool mushroom, frogspawn, maybe even the star polyps and xenia island), should they be okay? I would love for the bcp to fill up empty space on the rock eventually, or to have mix of bcp and other clove polyp color variants. I can't understand all the hate for something that looks like a snowflake. It just fills up empty space, and doesn't attack other corals from what I understand?

Last edited:
OP
OP
princesspeach12

princesspeach12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw this today 20 NUVO FUSION PENINSULA PRO AIO ( https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/20-n...ro-aio-aquarium-bundle-innovative-marine.html )

I really like how it would give me a space to hide the heater, any filter floss or similar, skimmer if I ever want one, etc. I also like how it comes with a lid and some basic starter stuff. Does the AIO part trap nitrates though?

Are these worth the cost? Shipping is free, which is awesome.

Same cost as the 22 gallon long, but looks like a better set up over all.

I've accepted that the extra 6" for a six line wrasse overall is not worth the cost of the tank, or potential aggression problems down the road. They are just too active and people have problems with aggression in tanks 5x the size of mine.

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a ton of stunning small tanks that are filled with come cool coral and small, docile fish like blennies and gobies, ton of personality too!

If I were in your shoes, that is what I would do with an AIO.

OP
OP
princesspeach12

princesspeach12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been doing more thinking and planning, here is revision #201 to my plan :rolleyes: I keep going back and forth between having a softy tank, or doing a clown and nem only tank. I saw a couple clown and nem only tanks on youtube, and they were beautiful!

Set up TWO tanks (amazing how well the foot in the door technique works. Boyfriend went from being against 1 tank, to allowing 1 tank, to allowing 2 more tanks now!) at the same time (fill and cycle at the same time, stock slightly staggered).

Tank #1
-10 gallon or 20 tall (only have a 24" wall space to fit a tank, and they are cheap and easy to find)

Purpose is to get feet wet with corals and saltwater maintenance. It will have all the soft corals I mentioned above (with blue clove polyps added last). Most likely no fish for the 10 gallon, maybe a fish if it is a 20 tall.

Tank #2
-20 gallon long (either current one I have, or the IM nuvo peninsula one)

Purpose is to eventually be a clownfish and bubble tip nem tank. When I first set it up, when it is mature enough for corals, I want to stock it with some sort of cheap euphyllia species frags (torch, hammer, or frogspawn, etc) I will let the frags grow out for 6-8+ months, and then decide if I want to either

A) Go forward with the nem and clown only tank, no coral, idea. Sell/trade all the euphyllia corals for nems/pair of occy clowns (maybe find someone looking to rehome a pair with a nem they are currently hosting). Keep or sell 10/20T softie reef set up.

B) Scratch the nem plan. Keep the euphyllia corals, and add in the soft corals I like from the 10 gallon (which gives me a chance to start over if I end up not liking bcp, etc.) and still add a pair of clowns

C) Decide I am happy with just the 10 or 20T, sell the 20 gallon long set up.

D) Let nem/s choose a spot they like and are not moving around anymore, than add back in softies/lps if I kept any

E) Decide salty is too much work, and either switch to freshwater or get rid of both tanks

I like this plan, as it gives me the most possibilities. This is great, because I am very indecisive.

Any thoughts?

I figured if the tank was set up for 12+ months before adding an anemone, that it would have a good chance of doing well, since it would be mature and I would have a lot of experience by that point.

I do realize clowns may never choose to be hosted by an anemone (especially one that is not their natural host), but I still am interested in trying.

Last edited:

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been doing more thinking and planning, here is revision #201 to my plan :rolleyes: I keep going back and forth between having a softy tank, or doing a clown and nem only tank. I saw a couple clown and nem only tanks on youtube, and they were beautiful!

Set up TWO tanks (amazing how well the foot in the door technique works. Boyfriend went from being against 1 tank, to allowing 1 tank, to allowing 2 more tanks now!) at the same time (fill and cycle at the same time, stock slightly staggered).

Tank #1
-10 gallon or 20 tall (only have a 24" wall space to fit a tank, and they are cheap and easy to find)

Purpose is to get feet wet with corals and saltwater maintenance. It will have all the soft corals I mentioned above (with blue clove polyps added last). Most likely no fish for the 10 gallon, maybe a fish if it is a 20 tall.

Tank #2
-20 gallon long (either current one I have, or the IM nuvo peninsula one)

Purpose is to eventually be a clownfish and bubble tip nem tank. When I first set it up, when it is mature enough for corals, I want to stock it with some sort of cheap euphyllia species frags (torch, hammer, or frogspawn, etc) I will let the frags grow out for 6-8+ months, and then decide if I want to either

A) Go forward with the nem and clown only tank, no coral, idea. Sell/trade all the euphyllia corals for nems/pair of occy clowns (maybe find someone looking to rehome a pair with a nem they are currently hosting). Keep or sell 10/20T softie reef set up.

B) Scratch the nem plan. Keep the euphyllia corals, and add in the soft corals I like from the 10 gallon (which gives me a chance to start over if I end up not liking bcp, etc.) and still add a pair of clowns

C) Decide I am happy with just the 10 or 20T, sell the 20 gallon long set up.

D) Let nem/s choose a spot they like and are not moving around anymore, than add back in softies/lps if I kept any

E) Decide salty is too much work, and either switch to freshwater or get rid of both tanks

I like this plan, as it gives me the most possibilities. This is great, because I am very indecisive.

Any thoughts?

I figured if the tank was set up for 12+ months before adding an anemone, that it would have a good chance of doing well, since it would be mature and I would have a lot of experience by that point.

I do realize clowns may never choose to be hosted by an anemone (especially one that is not their natural host), but I still am interested in trying.
Haha, I think you should go with a single 20 gallon with the softies and euphyllia and a single nem with clown pair.

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the feedback! Would you say that this light has a similar "shimmer" effect that the kessils do? I certainly like the price better!
I have not seen any led’s yet that has the same shimmer that Kessil does.
It sounds like ur set to Kessil. I was like that years ago. I saved up and got a 360w. Glad I did.

OP
OP
princesspeach12

princesspeach12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not seen any led’s yet that has the same shimmer that Kessil does.
It sounds like ur set to Kessil. I was like that years ago. I saved up and got a 360w. Glad I did.

At least for one of my tanks, I would like one I think. Do you still have the same one you got years ago? I imagine they last a long time since they are LED's.

OP
OP
princesspeach12

princesspeach12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, I think you should go with a single 20 gallon with the softies and euphyllia and a single nem with clown pair.

You mean only ONE tank right? That makes the most sense, but I am really excited about the idea of two tanks (one for the bedroom, one for the living room) Plus, if I go the anemone route, I won't have to worry about it moving around and stinging/killing other corals, or outgrowing the space as much.

I am thinking of having both tanks be 20 gallon longs now as well. The softie one could also eventually house a single more aggressive species of fish eventually, such as an orchid dottyback or sixline. I wouldn't want to have one with a pair of clowns in a 20 gallon due to potential aggression, so that would eliminate that problem. Or perhaps go the other route, with really peaceful fish that I worry the clowns would eventually be aggressive too, such as a firefish and small goby.

If I order the NUVO 20 gallon long peninsula AIO aquarium, and get another AIO compartment for the opposite side for another overflow with pump inside (perhaps replacing the pump to something more powerful, but still quiet), would I be able to eliminate having a powerhead in the display part of the tank, to avoid nem soup? I am not sure if having two overflows, one on each side, would provide enough water flow for them. I also could just make a homemade powerhead cover out of some sort of plastic mesh or something as well.

I am going to start making a list of things I will need for each tank (equipment wise) and price it out, before making the plunge on setting up both at the same time.

Another question. Do I need to have a good light (the lights I plant to use for my reef tank) in order for the aquarium to go through the diatom, cyanobacteria, and green/brown algae cycling stages? Or can I just use my marineland blue/white LEDs that came with my tanks ( ) during that stage? I see in the supreme guide sticky that you are supposed to set your lights how you plan to use them, but wasn't sure if the specific light mattered at this stage.

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least for one of my tanks, I would like one I think. Do you still have the same one you got years ago? I imagine they last a long time since they are LED's.

Yes, I still have it. Used it on my Nuvo 40, 20 drop -off and now on my current 25 Lagoon. Money well spent!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back