OP
eranschau

eranschau

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up the protein skimmer - a Vertex Alpha 200 - from @Bulk Reef Supply yesterday. Looks like I'm going to have plenty of room left in that middle chamber. Might have to order some more stuff!

You'll also see hiding in the corner there a Waveline DC10000II return pump. I really wanted to go with one of those new EcoTech Vectra pumps based purely on how much I love my MP40s, but the pump isn't compatible with my Apex controller, and from what I've read, they have no intention of adding that capability. The Waveline is Apex-ready out of the box and had some great reviews on @Bulk Reef Supply 's web site. Now I just have to resist the urge to set it up in my bath tub just to see if it can shoot water to the ceiling. ;)

IMG_2961.JPG
IMG_2962.JPG

Last edited:

marcoss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice man! Looking great! Look the mock tank. I do stuff like that all the time- it's the only way my brain can figure things out.

OP
OP
eranschau

eranschau

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice man! Looking great! Look the mock tank. I do stuff like that all the time- it's the only way my brain can figure things out.
I knew I wasn't going to be able to sleep at night until I was sure the thing would go down the stairs. Plus, it came in quite handy when it came time to start working on the aquascape!

OP
OP
eranschau

eranschau

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spent most of this past weekend in the garage attempting to glue my fingers together. Also, I got the rock glued up. The pictures aren't the best, but there are basically two islands with the larger on the right. Lots of caves and hiding places. I stared at it for a good week before I was sure I was happy enough with it to start gluing things together.

Photo May 16, 8 03 36 PM.jpg Photo May 16, 8 03 38 PM.jpg Photo May 16, 8 03 42 PM.jpg Photo May 16, 8 03 45 PM.jpg Photo May 16, 8 03 47 PM.jpg Photo May 16, 8 03 51 PM.jpg Photo May 16, 8 03 53 PM.jpg Photo May 16, 8 03 57 PM.jpg

Photo May 16, 8 03 40 PM.jpg

OP
OP
eranschau

eranschau

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started curing the rock last night. Woke up this morning and the water is already a lovely shade of puke and I can barely stand the smell. I hope that old canister filter I have still works... I'm gonna need to pour it full of carbon and run it just so I can stand to get near this thing for the next month. :eek:

IMG_2971.JPG

nrupaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Love the rocks you picked out, but based on your layout I just feel there would be quite a few spots where flow wouldn't reach and detritus might accumulate. Siphoning those nooks and crannies would be a major PIA.

SWE is my go to store too for advice and supplies

OP
OP
eranschau

eranschau

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the rocks you picked out, but based on your layout I just feel there would be quite a few spots where flow wouldn't reach and detritus might accumulate. Siphoning those nooks and crannies would be a major PIA.

SWE is my go to store too for advice and supplies
It's tough to tell from the pictures, but I tried to pick out rock and set it up in such a way that most of it was perched on "feet" and not sitting flat on the bottom glass/sand bed with that exact problem in mind. That being said, I had already planned on adding a diamond goby to keep things stirred up, and likely adding at least one MP10 to the back wall of the tank to help mix up the flow.

But since you brought it up... I may need to re-explore the egg crate idea just to make sure the rock doesn't sink too far down into the sand and create pockets where stuff can get trapped.

nrupaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
[QUOTE="eranschau, post: 2934435, member: 45665.

But since you brought it up... I may need to re-explore the egg crate idea just to make sure the rock doesn't sink too far down into the sand and create pockets where stuff can get trapped.[/QUOTE]

Gothca

But to be honest I am not a big fan of egg crates. Traps detritus in there too. Also with a diamond goby you are always going to end up having some exposed egg crate

You'd be better off just resting rocks on the floor of tank and put sand around it. No issue of them sinking

Or do what I do - barebottom, with black bottom. You can use the flow to make detritus accumulate in 1 spot and siphon it out easy. Plus no sand means you can crank up the flow without sandstorms.

Pamela

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a wonderfully big room to build your glorious new aquarium in! Lucky you! Only thing is, I imagine you will be living most of your life in your basement. How could you not, with what you have planned? Excited to follow along...

OP
OP
eranschau

eranschau

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[QUOTE="eranschau, post: 2934435, member: 45665.

But since you brought it up... I may need to re-explore the egg crate idea just to make sure the rock doesn't sink too far down into the sand and create pockets where stuff can get trapped.

Gothca

But to be honest I am not a big fan of egg crates. Traps detritus in there too. Also with a diamond goby you are always going to end up having some exposed egg crate

You'd be better off just resting rocks on the floor of tank and put sand around it. No issue of them sinking

Or do what I do - barebottom, with black bottom. You can use the flow to make detritus accumulate in 1 spot and siphon it out easy. Plus no sand means you can crank up the flow without sandstorms.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was worried about that with the egg crate which is why I ruled it out. I've seen some stunning bare bottom tanks online, but my 75 is bare right now after having tossed the sand when I moved it into this house. It's honestly kinda ugly. Stuff grows all over it and it's a pain in the **** to clean. I'll just keep the sand bed shallow and hope the goby is a hard worker. ;)

OP
OP
eranschau

eranschau

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a wonderfully big room to build your glorious new aquarium in! Lucky you! Only thing is, I imagine you will be living most of your life in your basement. How could you not, with what you have planned? Excited to follow along...

Well, the good TV is also down there so I don't mind. And you should have heard me trying to explain to my real estate agent what, exactly, I needed in a "finished basement" to accommodate my hobby. :p

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back