230g tank on the attic

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sjaako
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Sjaako

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 27, 2019
Messages
77
Reaction score
20
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, jack here from the Netherland.

I am going to place a 230g 9880 liters) tank 63x39x24 (160x100x60 europese dimentions) in my attic.
one window on my office side and one window in my kiddo's room.

Can the floor held the weight? I got concrete slabs with hollow tubes in the center. The slabs are 8" thick (20 centimeters) and enforced with steel inside.
There is a topping of cement screed on it to hide electrical cables etc.
The official weight it can hold according VBI the manufacture is 640lbs (290KG) and 220lbs (100KG )additional for screed topping.

Calculating without the extra 220lbs for the topping as i already got the screed i need 2645 lbs including rocks and other materials and i can official hold 1022lbs.
I need more than double the official safe weight.
Now that official safe weight is if i use every square meter which i am not.

The aquarium is not going to be placed near a wall but more in the center of the floor.
The concrete slabs are 24" wide so the aquarium is atleast standing on three sabs.

I am planning to buy some large wooden beams on which i screw some plywood sheet on wicht the aquarium frame that is made from RVS is coming on top.
I hope my english is good enought to clarify the question haha.
 
No one can answer this.

You need to get structural engineer.
 
No one can answer this.

You need to get structural engineer.
I called VBI, the one from who the concrete slabs are. Hey told me it was a waste of money to pay for an angineer (they offer the service) because it would hold it as long as i am not putting heavy other stuff around 39" of it. That was before i thought about the additional load of stones and the sump. I called a bunch of regular engineers and they said the could not calculate it, as i searched on other post i never found one engineer with an caclulation anywhere. All the same answers that no one can tell.
 
Maybe someone will be able to answer you! I’ve seen people put tanks in top floors of buildings before, but never an “attic”. Curious to see what people will say! When I think attic I think of the ones where you pull a ladder down from the ceiling and it’s the roof, insulation, and a flooring that doesn’t hold much weight
 
Maybe someone will be able to answer you! I’ve seen people put tanks in top floors of buildings before, but never an “attic”. Curious to see what people will say! When I think attic I think of the ones where you pull a ladder down from the ceiling and it’s the roof, insulation, and a flooring that doesn’t hold much weight
Maybe i used the wrong english word for attic? I got a big house with base floor, first floor en second floor. We call the second floor in here attic. Maybe i need to say top floor? I mean with slabs 8" thick those are the same size as my base floor.
 
Maybe i used the wrong english word for attic? I got a big house with base floor, first floor en second floor. We call the second floor in here attic. Maybe i need to say top floor? I mean with slabs 8" thick those are the same size as my base floor.
Ahhh, I see what you mean now. Usually, an attic here is the crawl space or space between the roof and ceiling of a building. I figured when you said "attic," it was the top floor of a building where you could see the "roof," not what I was describing, haha.
 
@Sjaako
Because you are not next to load bearing walls, spreading the weight out is a splendid idea. It is good that the load bearing concrete slabs are perpendicular to the display. Next, build a 6” high platform/stage that further spreads the weight out.

Jack,
While I am a marine engineer, not a structural engineer, think about it this way: would you be concerned/worried if 15 grown men stood upright in the center of the room.
 
Last edited:
@Sjaako
Because you are not next to load bearing walls, spreading the weight out is a splendid idea. It is good that the load bearing concrete slabs are perpendicular to the display. Next, build a 6” high platform/stage that further spreads the weight out.

Jack,
While I am a marine engineer, not a structural engineer, think about it this way: would you be concerned/worried if 15 grown men stood upright in the center of the room.
I dont know about the 15 men, probability no issue at all. But if you asked would it be a problem if 5 grown men stood upon one concrete slab, as thats the extra weight as i devide it to atleast 3 slabs but maybe more when i devide it with some large wooden beams i would definitely say easy peasy.
 
I agree with easy peasy. Where did you hear that slang?
 
I agree with easy peasy. Where did you hear that slang?
we used it on the schoolyard i think when i was a kiddo and skipping over a rope sort of thing.
Used it in the army aswell, i think when i was on a USA based camp.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 19.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 40 31.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 19 14.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new