240 gallon acrylic tank leaking HELP!!

lonewonderer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
need help asap. I just bought a new tank and its used. I had this guys polished it and said he will reseal all the side but I guess he forgot. Is there anything I can buy to patch this thing up? Need help please

marktea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How high is the. Leak? You might be able to drain the tank below that. Point where you can then patch up with aquarium safe silicon

S-t-r-e-t-c-h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acrylic tanks aren't sealed like a glass tank; the panels are bonded together. There's not really an option to use a sealant like silicone, as the adhesion is far weaker than with glass. There are some thicker cements that may be an option, but it really depends on the severity of the leak and you need someone with a LOT of experience to assess and recommend a fix.

IMO, there's no easy way to address this and with something this size, you're best bet is to get help from a professional. If there are any acrylic tank manufacturers in the area, I'd hit them up for help.

OP
OP
lonewonderer

lonewonderer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One drop every 3 sec

IMG_8172.JPG

OP
OP
lonewonderer

lonewonderer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped the leak. I used loctite gel glue for my corals. Wipe the water and quickly pressed the glue with my finger. I let it dry for a minute then i took my finger off. "Ouch" part of my skin is in there. But it stopped. I'll wait another hour and see what happens. I will put more gel glue after an hour.

IMG_8173.JPG

S-t-r-e-t-c-h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, this thread makes me nervous. OP, that's not a fix. You need a professional to look at that before the seam blows out.

Also, is the tank supported on the entire bottom? I'd expect to see plywood between the tank and stand since it's an acrylic tank, but don't see anything there. If the bottom panel isn't supported, that's going to be another issue. FYI...

dcmartinpc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1!!! You need to drain that tank and at a minimum tilt it up on that seem and run some thin weld on in to the seem. That would be a much better patch job than super glue and would likely weld everything back together. But I would still consult an acrylic expert to inspect any other seems that could be suspect.

Don

OP
OP
lonewonderer

lonewonderer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He will come by tomorrow to check the tank. And I'll update you guys on whats going to happen.

Thanks

Darryl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
please get some plywood under that tank it needs that support between the stand and tank . unlike a glass tank that sits on the rimmed edge of the glass tank!

OP
OP
lonewonderer

lonewonderer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this tank from another reefer close to me. He had the exact same stand and tank when i bought it with 300 pounds of LR and sand. My tank will be fish only with only 2 fake corals on it. Do I really have to put plywood while I saw this before without it. I mean the stand i have has a flat top board on top. So why do I need to put another plywood on top of it?

S-t-r-e-t-c-h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1!!! You need to drain that tank and at a minimum tilt it up on that seem and run some thin weld on in to the seem. That would be a much better patch job than super glue and would likely weld everything back together. But I would still consult an acrylic expert to inspect any other seems that could be suspect.

Don

Acrylic cement works by dissolving the material so it fuses together. Doing a repair with water in the tank or really any pressure against the panels is going to make the situations worse. The tank can come apart like that.

OP, good to see the stand is supported and that you have someone coming to help! Good luck!

dcmartinpc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acrylic cement works by dissolving the material so it fuses together. Doing a repair with water in the tank or really any pressure against the panels is going to make the situations worse. The tank can come apart like that.

OP, good to see the stand is supported and that you have someone coming to help! Good luck!

Agreed. I suppose I wasn’t clear that draining the tank AND adding the acrylic cement from the inside in the seam is the minimum. That’s what I meant anyway :)

Don

Scarybo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would drain the tank and have it bonded by an expert. I understand it is a hassle and quick fixes seem better. The risk however is very high.

OP
OP
lonewonderer

lonewonderer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all the input. I will update you guys after he stops by

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back