24x24x12 30 gallon cube flow

spscrackhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be good? Would 1 mp10 be enough? This will be a Sps dominate tank. I will also have about 250gph out of the return.

Just Clownin Around

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go without the sand bed. If you are dead set on a vortech 1 should be ok until you get a few colony size pieces. Then you will probably need a second.
I personally think 2 tunze 6055 would be a better choice so you can aim the flow. In that small of a tank you will need to be able to direct the flow no to hit the corals.

OP
OP
spscrackhead

spscrackhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
spspirate. i like that name hmmm lol
as for updates i picked up one mp10 w es for now so i have the option of going w 2 later

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my 12x12x24 in, filled it up with some water from the sink and threw the MP10 on to play around, all I can say is sasasasasick!!!!

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you go with the MP10? If you do go with the MP10 you might be good with just one if you can counter react the flow from the MP10 with your return. In my 24x24x12 you somewhat get that whirlpool effect just by its self.

OP
OP
spscrackhead

spscrackhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah i have the one mp10. i have it on the left side in the middle. my return in in the back left corner also pushing to the right side. i think i might be ok with this flow... for now anyway.

reefknight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tagging along as I'm considering setting up 24x24x12. Maybe something for some LPS to grow out in. Interested in any photo's you can share as well.

reefhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have the same dimension tank currently. i find one mp10 to be enough. i run it at 75% on reef crest. I have about a 2.5" sand bad and do not have a problem with it blowing around. If i turn it up further i do. here is a pic to see reference of placement...you can see where the sand has moved some, that was with it running at 100%

reefhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have thought about buying one as the lfs carries them. nice looking tanks, but i thought the seems could be a lot better. that is just me being picky tho. i would be happy tho with everything else. and if the seems are not a big deal to you then even better.

reefknight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deep Blue makes a great reef ready 24x24x12

I was actually looking at their rimless version of that tank.

i have the same dimension tank currently. i find one mp10 to be enough. i run it at 75% on reef crest. I have about a 2.5" sand bad and do not have a problem with it blowing around. If i turn it up further i do. here is a pic to see reference of placement...you can see where the sand has moved some, that was with it running at 100%

Nice looking set up. Considering one very similar, using an AI Blue Sol and probably a Vortech MP10.

OP
OP
spscrackhead

spscrackhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
check out my build thread. our tanks are scary similar! light, flow, even heater!
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/club-cube/75722-cracks-very-square-build.html
w
hy not put your mp10 on the side against the wall? better for viewing purposes.

i think 1 mp10 would be plenty for a lps 24x24x12 cube. you would have a few dead spots but hey you would know where you needed to siphon durring your water changes.

reefhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree I have noticed some dead spots in my tank as the bio load has increased. I just added a pair of black ice clowns.

I agree with the mp10 and wish I would have known this when designing the tank. However, the overflow is on the opposite side for the all in one portion. My thinking was to have the water and deturis blowing towards the over flow instead of away. Not really sure if it makes a difference, I might try it on the other side.

OP
OP
spscrackhead

spscrackhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh i see i have the same deal going on as far as water movement towards the overflow. do you get a good undertow that brings the water right back to the mp10 like i do? it hits the wall the pump is on and climbs right up. i think that would be good for the overflow too. id deff give it a whirl

DxSOR25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your tank all in one or u got a RR with a sump underneath?

lawnman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like the deep blue 24x24x12. It is a really nice little tank. I know what you mean about the seams. My LFS always has about 3 of them on hand so I could pick thru for one with nice seams. I have there rimless 75 right now and my only complaint is the HUGE overflow.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 32 50.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 19.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 7.9%
Back