250 gallon 7-footer - flow advice?

  • Thread starter Thread starter thefuz
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

thefuz

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 21, 2014
Messages
120
Reaction score
29
Location
Norwalk, CT
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working on a 250 gallon upgrade. Will be mixed but heavier on the SPS. Could use some advice on flow. I have several options available and what I'm settled on for the initial setup is this.

I have a pair of 1" outlets for the return line, each running through MOcean wavemakers at the far end of the tank (opposite the overflow). I've placed an MP60 along the back wall about halfway up the tank and a few feet from the outlets. Finally, I have a Gyre 150 positioned vertically beneath the overflow in the rear corner of the tank.

I'm planning two cascading sets of rockwork. One beginning from the overflow (to hide the nasty white buildup between the overflow and tank glass - original builders did a crap job sealing the top of that section is my best guess on what happened there). The second will start somewhere in the middle of the tank and run down towards the other end.

Will this be good flow? I could add a 2nd MP60 similarly positioned horizontally as the first a few feet further in towards the overflow. However, I think this may interact strangely with the Gyre. Here's a photo down the length of the tank to get perspective on my dilemma.

EMurPkB5N_3inMmz-ZiV9F9nLfj264CuFYT2elVVRFhv9ldMX9HR_S14dUwQ554n8lAi3xr_gnhnsIspEXC_SGHtfcbWQOi6QpNe58G0bpX1Gq65nwKeo9wX3s021JE4Iy6KmSYtMv38Ur3cE9BAa-qMqmuCZ3YJ0B_0D9IzmVpBZWNl8Pli0GL_q3RGSKOeh5080_655p-62AW8JRhEcb0fhKO-6KANRNRfEQ7Q3juMUR_E_-8XXSNmZRNWBGCJGM3FQvlAdnYVd5zx6RUBDHqPo0P2EBOppwZ_iYEeDExsiun5dsbXHyWO_oSoFi9SYzHAI-PLSPtoQ86n4qFaRcIGQMeOxr66ZLr--9AvlY1vn_h9UlGRjbadKivTsm6-cJkvXt1QRuqd2W6FnIpKXvz3oQd3FGJo7JXkb4Uor0c-x-HBjqweOLutqZHRAe-6WeyWywfYVbM4-GZ0Ssu6nPVSl0Nr-qEk_RwUp3EUICS2xuy4WN41a1MYJAAaVfczMtJDQLBTeZ70WaRLtSU-DKiYX3zKrvur0Gl18wDqUFe_=w1070-h802-no
 
:)Nice, will the overflow box be on a side panel or back panel.
 
Overflow is all the way at the far end (should be able to make out the teeth above the PVC - PVC is in place as future support for rockwork).
 
excellent, can just make it out...
very cool setup!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 15.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 33.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 7.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new