2500 gallon freshwater koi pond, 17 years!

SuburbanKoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! My father-in-law and my wife & I built a 12'x9'x4' deep pond in 2006. He put all the koi that he had been raising for years in it. Since then, we've had a few spawnings, and we tried to save and grow as many of those new koi as we could.

We had a horrible die-off about 7 years ago, I think we lost 2 dozen over the course of a week! I've always been careful about keeping the filter clean, watching the water temp for feeding, etc. No trouble since then.

We still have about 2 dozen koi, most of them 24" long or bigger. They are so relaxing to watch, sometimes I sit on the edge of the pond and watch them do their thing.

Pond.jpg

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was talking with a guy yesterday about stocking my 1 acre pond with some koi… he mentioned to me that 2nd or 3rd generations in bigger ponds, seem to lose alot of their color and are grayish. Have you heard that?

OP
OP
SuburbanKoi

SuburbanKoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was talking with a guy yesterday about stocking my 1 acre pond with some koi… he mentioned to me that 2nd or 3rd generations in bigger ponds, seem to lose alot of their color and are grayish. Have you heard that?
Not at all. Our 2nd generation koi are just as vibrant as our 1st. And, I think some of the koi I think of as "1st generation" were really my father-in-law's 2nd generation.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 66 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back