265 gallon stand build

CoreyWakefield123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im building a stand for my 265 gallon marineland glass aquarium. Im having a real hard time getting it perfectly level, not sure if it's the garage floor or my carpentry skills. It is solid, made out of 2x6's which are inherently not level. I feel the weight of just the 400 lb aquarium will balance it out but it worries me. Im putting it on tile which is obviously not perfectly level. The stand is solid but wobbles just a bit. Should I put a pad underneath it?

20190121_222859.jpg

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you topping it with a piece of plywood? That and some padding (neoprene, usually) can help to solve the small variations in the frame.
Having to shim up the stand to get it level is not uncommon. Use plenty of shims under any of the legs that aren't solidly on the floor.

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same experience. My stand is build in a similar way and is rock solid, but was way out of level when I place it in location. I think it will be fine as long as the top is in a single plane that you can get level.

My basement floor had a definite slope, so I had to shim it like crazy. I didn't add a plywood top, but I did add a plywood bottom with some heavy shower liner in case of spills or leaks. It's helped a few times with sump changes and pump cleaning.

Other than getting the stand level, the biggest surprise was that I had to cut away some of the material in the back corners to accommodate bulkheads and plumbing.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always add a 3/4" ply top to help ride over minor deviations and it also stitches framing together and adds a great deal more strength.
That and shims at floor where needed should resolve your issues.

OP
OP
CoreyWakefield123

CoreyWakefield123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did add a peice of high quality sanded ply to the top (which will have to come off when I get my gigantic triton 60 sump). The top is pretty flat, some very minor variations in the 2x6's underneath the plywood. My biggest concern is at the floor. No matter what I do it seems to rock just a bit at the floor. I've taken it all apart and cut new legs like 4 times now, I don't want to do it again. The legs are slightly different lengths even because of the variations in the cross beams but its pretty level

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did add a peice of high quality sanded ply to the top (which will have to come off when I get my gigantic triton 60 sump). The top is pretty flat, some very minor variations in the 2x6's underneath the plywood. My biggest concern is at the floor. No matter what I do it seems to rock just a bit at the floor. I've taken it all apart and cut new legs like 4 times now, I don't want to do it again. The legs are slightly different lengths even because of the variations in the cross beams but its pretty level

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I normally advise making the stand correct, all legs the same, check for square by using a tape at all corner to corner measurements, and if your floor is out(and most are) then use shims to make corrections.

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I normally advise making the stand correct, all legs the same, check for square by using a tape at all corner to corner measurements, and if your floor is out(and most are) then use shims to make corrections.

Exactly I have been teaching a new helper about framing the past few weeks. This is the foundation of building anything .if you cut everything correctly a Tape measure and Fasteners are all that should be needed to assemble. No Framing square no Level... Save those tools for the Install and setup. I also still use a plumb bob for setting doors . You Just know its Right when you do .

OP
OP
CoreyWakefield123

CoreyWakefield123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I originally cut all the pieces the same bit when it wobbled I made a couple longer to stabilize it. I figure it's from the bow in the cross framing on the top and bottom. I reluctantly took your advice and took everything apart made the legs all exactly the same and then sanded the ends while clamped so they'd be perfect now ro reassemble and hope the wobble isn't bad

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good deal, so shim stand level w/ tank on or off, check your level again when tank is on, make adjustments if needed, then fill tank for leak test, stopping at each quarter level and check again as you go.

You should have shims placed about every 6-12" across perimeter, so if it's bowed slightly at center that should flatten out w/ shims spaced accordingly.

That tank is trimmed, so really it only requires the 4 corners to be level and give support, trimmed tanks are more forgiving in this area.

Saveafish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0455.JPG
Number 1 build a stand for a tank that size. Build it on plywood and upside down. This way it's level on the top. As long as it don't have twist in it. Side to side unlevel is ok front to back unlevel is ok. Caddy corner unlevel in NOT ok.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree w/ building on a flat surface, but if you are checking for square as you build it should all be square and level

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 78 79.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.1%
Back