Should I rebuild this DIY stand?

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The top is not perfectly level as demonstrated in these pictures. These corners are raised about 1 millimeter from the rest of the stand. I did as much leveling as I could by adding shims under the top board but I don't think I can get it any better. It is level perfectly between the other corners, across the middle, across the other middle, just not between these 2 corners. Will the leveling mat or the weight solve this problem though?

It was my first time building something like this and I believe my pieces were not as perfectly even as should. The bottom of the stand is no better but I was going to wedge a bunch more shims under it to level out.

20240407_221809[1].jpg
20240407_221759[1].jpg

Edit: this is for an IM nuvo 50 ext

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait, I could use my power sander to shave down the corners a millimeter. Would that make sense?

bradreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could unscrew the top sheet and use shims and wood glue under the low spots to bring it all level.

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That might work with a little more effort. I was overthinking things and thought it would just keep un-leveling it in different areas.

But right now I am learning some useful carpenter things. How to square and adjust my miter saw so it can make better cuts and how to make an extension fence stopping block so I can make much more even cuts. I think I will just rebuild it much better.

It'll only cost $30 in 2x4s and I'll reuse the $40 plywood tops and screws.

Edit: I would need to raise the middle with shims. If I do that it will unlevel it in every other direction and need more shims in the other areas. So option B would be sand down those corners to try and level them with where it is now but that's a hassle and a half too.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1mm is nothing.. put a leveling mat on it and call it day..

Edit… I see 1/16th not 1mm after looking at the pics again lol.. I would just sand down the outside a little till it’s a tad close and use a leveling mat.

SKEETER1978

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what kind of tank? If its the old traditional glass style all the support is on the edges so it would be fine.

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what kind of tank?
It is a IM Nuvo 50 EXT.

I rebuilt the stand and did a much better job. Everything is much more square. I figured out my corner clamps are useless and made it really unsquared. When I run the level down it I don't see any gaps nearly as bad this time but the tank still seems to not be laying perfectly flat. I think it is the old leveling mat so I ordered a new one to put on the tank and will see how that looks soon.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the tank is fully touching on the new leveling mat. I guess I sanded too much and the plywood top is <2mm smaller than the tank. Is that Ok with a rimless tank? (IM Nuvo 50 EXT) The glass is 1 cm so 90%~ of it is supported

(actually MM this time..)

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 67 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back