Rack vs Wobble

Thisisfine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the easiest way to tell?

I built a stand using rocket engineers plan but modified into a hex (corner bowfront) to add more space beneath for an appropriately sized sump and built to a height of 36". There is some shifting now that there's sand and a little water in it.

I had levelling issues as the floor slopes inward from the corner (different thread). I leveled it best as I could by raising the two wall adjacent corners 1/4" which made the front midpoint 7/8" from the floor due to inward slope. I had to build an insert rather than shimming the front due to the height from floor. Currently it's not perfectly level, likely 1/8 to 1/4" lower in the back going front to back corner over 34" and going perpendicular to each wall it's the same with the wall side lower 1/8 to 1/4". Due to it being a corner it's hard to see if it's wobble or rack to my untrained eyes. Feels like there's more give when pushing from front to back or from the right side of hex to back.

I originally filled with ~35-40g, then started to add another 20g, back tracked and removed 40g until I feel like this isn't going to be an issue.

Should I just add diagonal supports to the wall facing sides? Maybe try to fashion a floor insert with the table saw instead of shims for the wall facing sides?

I've spent a few weeks on this project and am mentally exhausted with it. Unfortunately, I have livestock in a brute that were in it before I moved it to my house, so I need to get this running.

IMG_6033.jpg IMG_6028.jpg

Sassafras

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diagonal bracing would help if the movement is in the stand itself. With the floor and leveling issue you're having, could the movement just be rocking on an uneven floor? If having the back sides facing the wall open isn't important to you, nothing would firm it up like skinning those sides with plywood.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back