Shim on a very unlevel wood floor

RichardL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi R2R,

I built a fish tank stand by 2*4 lumber on a level place for a 35 gallon cube (21*21*21).
IMG_9433.jpeg

However, since my house was built on a slope, the first floor are not quite level. The lowest corner is half inch lower than the highest corner. Right now I already use wood shims to level all 4 corners (actually, the 4 vertical lumbers for supporting the tank). I heard from others that I should also put shims under all bottom beams to disperse the weight. Now the question is, since the bottom beam is not paralleled to the floor, when I put 2 shims inside, one end provides support but another end does not since there is a gap. What should I do? I draw a simple graph for illustration:

IMG_1403.jpeg

Should I just insert 3 and cut it into same length as shim 1? Or do I need to but some thicker shims?
IMG_1404.jpeg

Alternatively, can I use following method? If yes, do I need to put shims one by one or can I only put 1 shim in a certain range, let's say 3 inch or so?
IMG_9837.jpeg

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would re-do the bottom of the stand to allocate for the unevenness.....cause thats alot of shims....but thats just me

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back