OP
King George

King George

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank, as everyone said above this is the typical “ugly” stage we are all have to go through. It’s a good thing, means you’re growing organisms in your tank. It is possible it will get worse before it gets better. My best recommendation is to be patient, as some said above reduce light exposure, continue your routine maintenance. Do not go off cleaning everything since you will cause another algae bloom to restart since you scrubbed the water clean. I believe your tank is an AIO, if you do, try not to run the protein skimmer. You don’t have much live stock, and you’re doing water changes.

I do recommend staying away from chemicals. Learn what is causing any nutrient spikes, there are some good YouTube videos on BRS channel. This will help you be a better reefer. Be mindful of the food you give your fish. Frozen foods are preferred during this time.

Towards the end of this process you may see cyno blooms occur (brown/reddish on sand bed), again maintain your regular routine, be patient, and keep an eye on parameters. Don’t let them bottom out. Once you’re out of this stage, you should be a solid ecosystem and mature tank. Best of luck!
Thank you so much for the advice!

I will make sure to be patient. You are correct, it is an AIO tank. Definitely will take a look at the BRS channel!

Appreciate the tips big time, I will keep this in mind!

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m guessing you are not using hanna for your phosphate test as I don’t think your phosphate is really zero, hanna is the only reliable test imo for phosphate, if not using that test kit I strongly suggest you buy one.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back