27 gallon marineland cube reef

Kylecva

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I'm fixing to set up a 27 gallon cube. This isn't my first reef tank. So far I'm considering, as far as fish go, a pair of Picasso ocellaris clowns, a helfrichi firefish, and a green mandarin goby. I'm going to have a 5 gallon HOB refugium, uv sterilizer, and a HOB filter. We have 30 pounds of live rock, and 25-30 pounds of live sand. I plan on waiting 6 months or so before the mandarin, while I'm waiting though I'm planning on dosing the aquarium and refugium with Copepods every month to build up a nice colony of them and I plan on dosing when necessary to make sure he has enough to eat. Would yall recommend any other fish or does that sound good? Any and all feed back is welcome :)!!

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those should be fine as long as you keep up with the dosing or the mandarin will starve to death pretty quickly. The clowns will be great and so will the firefish (make sure you have a tight lid or it will jump out).

OP
OP
Kylecva

Kylecva

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also the refugium is going to have cheato and live rock in it or would yall do something else?

OP
OP
Kylecva

Kylecva

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a tight lid lol I've heard the horror stories. Do you think we could add any more fish or would that be pushing it? And if so what?

OP
OP
Kylecva

Kylecva

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya we are planning on a cleaner shrimp as well

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other possible fish additions might include an assessor, stigmatura blenny, yasha goby, neon goby or clown goby. Just watch your nutrient levels in a tank that size, but having a refugium will help.

Also, even with a refugium and dosing pods, the system still may have trouble supporting the dietary needs of a mandarin. Their digestive tract is tiny and they need to eat nearly constantly.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 98 41.5%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 116 49.2%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 9 3.8%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 3.4%
Back