270gal build, do I need a commercial humidifier?

AtlCPA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will start a build thread when I get that far, but was talking to my builder today about my fish room, the in-wall tank, etc. and we were discussing the humidity issue. Will be around 400 gallons of water in the room after counting sump and frag tank.

My fish room will be in a large part of the unfinished basement (probably 18x20) which will also have 2 HVAC units in the room off to one side.

I'm thinking I also need a humidifier installed in that room as well. Builder said he could put in a commercial unit, plumb it, etc for in the ~$1,400 range.

Builder really had no idea if I really need one or not. I've heard the home depot versions are super inefficient and hard on the electric bill.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

OP
OP
AtlCPA

AtlCPA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you sir.

For clarification, this is a finished basement, but the wall behind the tank is an unfinished area with the HVAC units, etc.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd imagine you mean a DE-humidifier. Depends a lot on where you live.

OP
OP
AtlCPA

AtlCPA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, meant dehumidifier. I live in Atlanta. Gets pretty humid in the summer.

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dehumidifier will almost be a must. Either that or a decent sized bathroom fan going out. Just something to move the air around.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! I'm in Atlanta as well. An inexpensive dehumidifier keeps my lab RH at about 40% in the summer, less in winter.

OP
OP
AtlCPA

AtlCPA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! I'm in Atlanta as well. An inexpensive dehumidifier keeps my lab RH at about 40% in the summer, less in winter.

Dana - you just use a $200 one from Home Depot? Only negative I’ve heard on those is it’s pretty hard on the energy bill, but I couldn’t imagine it’s that much of an increase.

Charterreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will start a build thread when I get that far, but was talking to my builder today about my fish room, the in-wall tank, etc. and we were discussing the humidity issue. Will be around 400 gallons of water in the room after counting sump and frag tank.

My fish room will be in a large part of the unfinished basement (probably 18x20) which will also have 2 HVAC units in the room off to one side.

I'm thinking I also need a humidifier installed in that room as well. Builder said he could put in a commercial unit, plumb it, etc for in the ~$1,400 range.

Builder really had no idea if I really need one or not. I've heard the home depot versions are super inefficient and hard on the electric bill.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Air conditioning units dehumidify as well as cool. Are you putting in a mini split AC? They are the most efficient air conditioners out there.
I have an Aprilaire whole house dehumidifier that sits in the garage and has ducts in my basement although, it is part of my central AC system.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use one of those portable units in my basement that is not air conditioned. Here in CT, it's necessary for the hotter Summer months. I also run a large inline fan to my fish room, and control it from my apex based on temperature. As noted, the issue with the portable units is that they expel hot air .... not helpful in the Summer. I had looked for a dehumidifier split unit, but could never find one.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My builder installed the dehumidifier - it was part of their contract - and I have no idea where he got it but it does look similar in capacity to a $200 Home Depot unit. The day basement/lab also has its own dedicated HVAC unit so temperature isn't an issue either. Two HVAC units, reef tanks, dehumidifier, normal power usage and the highest monthly power bill has been $120. Gotta love Georgia Power.

Charterreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mini split units do a good job of getting rid of humidity as well as keeping temps cool. Most of these units have a "Dry" mode specifically designed to get rid of humidity when cooling isn't necessary.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 167 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.6%
Back