Pre build and hopefully Build Thread

Summitwynds2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My finished basement has been being used as my soap factory/inventory room for about the past 8 years. My husband passed away 6 1/2 years ago and Im finally getting my house/life organized. So this past winter was time to take control of the basement again. Gave the top walls a new paint color and cleaned it up, bought IKEA storage units to keep my soaps in as I make them in the winter and stock my shop in the spring. I have a Lavender Farm and make some of my own products. I replaced the old plasma tv with a new tv and spend quite a bit of time down there with my 2 grandkids (5 and almost 3). It’s a walk out basement with a pool in the back.

Looking at one area, which is tiled and has a wood stove that hasn’t been used in at least 8 years, I decided the stove needs to go. Then it dawned on me that it would be a great spot for a reef tank. I have a 200 gallon freshwater tank on the 1st floor, that used to be a reef tank. It was difficult for me to take care of while taking care of my husband. I had aiptasia and the tank just got looking so bad. So now to decide what size tank to put in this spot.

I really like the Innovative Marine tanks, and the 240 would fit perfectly there. The space is 90” x 39”. However, even the the IM prices are a great bang for the buck, the 240 is about $2,400 more than the 200, with only a 12” difference in length. So, Im leaning towards the 200 EXT.

Here’s the space. Just to the left of the area is my boiler/water heater room which has plenty of space for some equipment. Top Off tank, Salt water tank, Apex panel (the Apex base will stay near the Freshwater tank (on the first floor). I’ll move some equipment I’ve got on an IM 25 Lagoon down to this tank. I haven’t totally decided on all the equipment for this system. First need to decide which size tank.
IMG_1612.jpeg
IMG_0376.jpeg

OP
OP
Summitwynds2

Summitwynds2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My freshwater (ex-Reef) tank. Made by Miracles. We took over the closet in my office and tore down part of a wall in my Den (was a bedroom). IMG_1623.jpeg IMG_1610.jpeg

Jimbo327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a perfect sport for a reef tank. And it's already tiled.

What is that room to the left of the spot? If that is a bathroom, that would be perfect to run hoses into there for water and drain.

OP
OP
Summitwynds2

Summitwynds2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a perfect sport for a reef tank. And it's already tiled.

What is that room to the left of the spot? If that is a bathroom, that would be perfect to run hoses into there for water and drain.
It’s my boiler/water heater room, and it extends further back behind the concrete (base for the chimney of the house) and there’s room under the stairs. Theres a sliding door to the right of the “space”, that goes out to an I ground pool and there’s crushed rock right outside the door. My thought is to drain the water changes out there and then run a pump from a saltwater tank in the “boiler room” into the tank. Ive already got RODI set up and can fill up a salt water station and Top Off tank. I’ve got a small hole drilled in the wall on the left right now for a cord to run the 2 lights. So I’d use that and make it bigger if need be. So I can use under the tank to put stuff, and in the boiler room too.

OP
OP
Summitwynds2

Summitwynds2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I pulled the trigger. After reading @d2mini's build, I settled on the IM 112 Lagoon and ordered it. I bounced around so many times trying to decide. The space I've got could handle the IM 240, but the price and the size was a bit overwhelming. I was leaning towards the IM 200 (great price and would look nice in the area (85x39 floor space), and then read d2mini's thread and thought about a cube size. I think its the way to go. Its the INT model. The space I have couldn't handle anything bigger than 39" from the wall, and I really didn't want to see the pipes either. Being so deep (front to back), I don't think I'll mind. I wasn't crazy about the IM sump, as I wanted a refugium and the sump for this tank doesnt have that. So I went with the tank and stand only. I've got time to figure everything out, but I am leaning towards the Bashsea 3018 sump. Now to get rid of the wood stove.
IMG_0376.jpeg

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I pulled the trigger. After reading @d2mini's build, I settled on the IM 112 Lagoon and ordered it. I bounced around so many times trying to decide. The space I've got could handle the IM 240, but the price and the size was a bit overwhelming. I was leaning towards the IM 200 (great price and would look nice in the area (85x39 floor space), and then read d2mini's thread and thought about a cube size. I think its the way to go. Its the INT model. The space I have couldn't handle anything bigger than 39" from the wall, and I really didn't want to see the pipes either. Being so deep (front to back), I don't think I'll mind. I wasn't crazy about the IM sump, as I wanted a refugium and the sump for this tank doesnt have that. So I went with the tank and stand only. I've got time to figure everything out, but I am leaning towards the Bashsea 3018 sump. Now to get rid of the wood stove.
IMG_0376.jpeg
I'm glad my Cade thread convinced you to get an IM. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Seriously though... looking forward to this. Love the dims of the 112!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 58 73.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back