29 gal mixed reef..recomm. HOB skimmer and Refugium

msudvm97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
29 gal tank, Mixed reef
Recommendations for HOB Protein skimmers and Refugiums ?
Thank you for your time
Steven Barta

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used the Aquamaxx on my last 40gallon and 60 gallon tanks. It worked really really well. Takes a lot of junk out of the water. Drawbacks, I added an open T so the return line could vent. (Return went out to a T with top open to air and bottom going down into the tank with a 90 on the end. It seemed to help with bubbles. It was a bit noisy. I can handle the “water bubbling sounds” but it often had more of a mechanical sound. The air line port on the pump also clogged with salt from time to time and I had to put some effort disassembling and cleaning it. (Like 3 times a year probably). overall I was quite happy with it.

I just returned to the hobby and bought a 36g off a guy. It came with this m50 HOB skimmer. It took me a couple weeks to dial it in as it was heavily over skimming (there’s an air adjustment and a flow adjustment) But once I got it dialed in and turned the flow down a bit (and let my tank establish a bit) it is working well now. It pulls out the nasty brown sludge like the Aquamaxx did.

pros. It’s VERY quiet for a skimmer. My Penguin 350 HOB filter is louder than the skimmer. It’s small and easy to set up. Plug in play.

cons: no good directions (some YouTube videos). I don’t like how the cup fits on. It sort of snaps over an O ring. Makes me a bit nervous of a failure. You have to unplug the skimmer to dump the cup or you have a mess.

tstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the large CPR HOB fuge on my 29 gal and like it...

2019-10-09 06.17.44.jpg
2019-10-09 06.17.52.jpg

Tim

Ccote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking to do the same thing. Hob skimmer and/or refugium. Did this work out for you?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back