29 Gallon Budget/Nostalgia Build

Nice! I currently run kessil, AI, and T5 fixtures on various tanks. I initially started with kessil and switched to AI for controllability etc but honestly I've been pretty underwhelmed with the lenses constantly melting, mediocre coral growth etc.. I can't speak to the growth of SPS with kessil because I only run it over LPS and Zoas however the shimmer like you mentioned is gorgeous. I recently switched my SPS tanks to T5 and could not be more pleased, the coloration, growth, overall appearance is wild. I'm debating rigging up an A 80 I have in this build with the T5 just for the shimmer, however everything I do from now on is going to be T5 or Metal Halide I think. I am however, curious about the Quanta Atlas light so I may check one of those out. All that to say, my two cents (For what it's worth), I would rank T5/MH, then Kessil then AI.

WIth as much as I'm gone I rely heavily on my ATO, Inkbird, and autofeeder. The biggest issue I've had is the ATO. I've had Tunze and Duetto and both have failed me and caused issues despite consistent maintenance. My cheap amazon ATO's I run on my other systems have never even hiccuped though. Just food for thought there. It's all definitely doable without the hydros/apex though, especially with webcams.
Which Amazon ato are you using? I am in the market for a temporary ATO and would love to buy whichever one you have that has been reliable.
 
Which Amazon ato are you using? I am in the market for a temporary ATO and would love to buy whichever one you have that has been reliable.
So here's two links, the float valve one I've been using for years. It has never had an issue I didn't cause, like plugging the pump back in after a water change.

ATO 1

And then this one with the optical censor, I've been using for a few weeks now, we'll see how long it lasts. The sump on this build was tight and the censor is tiny, and the whole unit fits into a tiny spot over on the side. Pleased so far.

ATO 2

You can pretty much throw the vinyl tubing straight in the trash though. It's so rigid and hard to maneuver. I replaced it with silicone.
 
So here's two links, the float valve one I've been using for years. It has never had an issue I didn't cause, like plugging the pump back in after a water change.

ATO 1

And then this one with the optical censor, I've been using for a few weeks now, we'll see how long it lasts. The sump on this build was tight and the censor is tiny, and the whole unit fits into a tiny spot over on the side. Pleased so far.

ATO 2

You can pretty much throw the vinyl tubing straight in the trash though. It's so rigid and hard to maneuver. I replaced it with silicone.
thanks so much! I appreciate you.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new