2gallon lemonade jar DIY build with ATO

js-3Design

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 29, 2024
Messages
205
Reaction score
175
Location
Netherlands
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

I Havent started an topic of my main reeftank but I also started 1 of my 2 planned PICO tanks.

its a 2 gallon ( 8 liters) lemonade jar that I used for phyto a while back.

It's going to be a soft coral and macro only. I started it Yesterday, I had some trouble with programming the ATO for this system.
I dont want to top it of everyday.

20260113_092007.jpg

I made it on a oak wood base. I 3d printed a mount for the Light arm. Its a kessel a360 knock off that I like. Its about 95W. I hope this is enough to give me about 50 par on the sandbed.

It has a small 12v dc pump and 25watt heater.

20260113_092243.jpg


I did glue magnets on the pump and the heater to be able to put it everywhere on the jar, even in the corners.

20260113_092017.jpg


20260113_092019.jpg
20260113_092045.jpg

20260113_092101.jpg
as you can see the ATO uses a floating sensor. when sensor is triggered for 2 seconds the pump starts running and keeps running after sensor is on level for 1 second. max run time is 10 second. push button is to reset the alarm (flashing LED) and to turn the ATO of during waterchanges.
I did use a DC converter to slow the pump down. (12v pump, runs at 5.5v) since a Top off is only about 200ml.

I started with a bit of sand and a small piece of rock from my main tank. There is a red Discosoma in there. I use that to see how the water is going. After a few weeks Ill add more corals and a CUC and pompom crab and some shrimp.

I'm planning a at least 50percent water change each week with water from my main tank.

I'm looking forward to see where this goes!

If you have any questions let me know!

To do:
making my own Light and LED controller using an Arduino and 4 digit screen.
 
Last edited:
Following along!
 
well a week has passed, added some macro from the refuge and another kenia tree.
its coming along very nicely. some Diatoms or dinos on the sand bed, that is to be expected since I started with a very small piece of live rock, 95percent of the sandbed is new, only a little bit from my main tank.
20260120_194907.jpg 20260120_194912.jpg 20260120_194920.jpg
I also rented a par meter for my main tank, so I am also going to check how much par this jar is getting. I'm running the light at most at 7% white and 1% UV. and during the morning and evening its blue.

I did order 1watt LED's (royal blue 12000k white and 395nm uv) to make my own light. That will be a great little project.

I also printed a flow restrictor for the ATO (3mm hole) . 200ml was way to much. Rightnow a top off is arround 40ml and that is perfect. the 600ml water jar lasted me all week.


20260120_194923.jpg


in the short term i'm getting a pom pom crab, maybe a very small goby like a Eviota Nigriventis. even though its small there are a lot of hiding spots so that will work.
also I need to get some snails.
I will also add pumping xenia, I love that coral but I will not keep in in my main tank, this little jar is perfect for that.
The red discosoma still isnt attached to anything. I hope it will settle down soon.

it's difficult to get good quality pictures because of the glass. I think that is extually a great feature since you cant just look at the tank and see everything. You need to move arround to be able to see everything.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 20.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 33 32.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 13 12.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new