2nd Skimmer for Ozone?

Chris Spaulding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking of using a spare skimmer I have to run Ozone through it and leave the main larger skimmer alone. Is this a viable option?
I would run this via Apex control. The skimmer is an Aquamaxx FC-120 and is rated ok for Ozone. The ozone generator is an Aquamaxx OZ TEC3 and does not require an air drier or air pump? The Ozone skimmer would be in a chamber of the sump ahead of the main skimmer chamber.

Thank You for the input.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one way of doing it for sure. Would you just leave the collection cup off and let it overflow?
Obviously you use have the room for a second skimmer or you would not be entertaining the idea.
What is your goal; why do you want to run it on a separate skimmer?

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one way of doing it for sure. Would you just leave the collection cup off and let it overflow?
Obviously you use have the room for a second skimmer or you would not be entertaining the idea.
What is your goal; why do you want to run it on a separate skimmer?
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe they’re running a larger skimmer that isn’t ozone rated? Inquiring minds want to know!

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking of using a spare skimmer I have to run Ozone through it and leave the main larger skimmer alone. Is this a viable option?
I would run this via Apex control. The skimmer is an Aquamaxx FC-120 and is rated ok for Ozone. The ozone generator is an Aquamaxx OZ TEC3 and does not require an air drier or air pump? The Ozone skimmer would be in a chamber of the sump ahead of the main skimmer chamber.

Thank You for the input.
What is your goal with the ozone? Just curious.

OP
OP
Chris Spaulding

Chris Spaulding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the room for the second skimmer np. My main skimmer is a Maxspec aqua duo 600 and it is not rated of Ozone. They have a kit out to make it Ozone safe however I can not find one. I have tangs in the tank and One a while back my purple developed a slight case of heli but has been reversed over time with proper feeding and nutrition. I also would like to get benefits of ozone for clarity of water and only ever use carbon to remove things when absolutely necessary. I would place a bag of carbon on the lid of the skimmer to filter the ozone and if needed have the overflow for the cup just drain back into the sump .

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the room for the second skimmer np. My main skimmer is a Maxspec aqua duo 600 and it is not rated of Ozone. They have a kit out to make it Ozone safe however I can not find one. I have tangs in the tank and One a while back my purple developed a slight case of heli but has been reversed over time with proper feeding and nutrition. I also would like to get benefits of ozone for clarity of water and only ever use carbon to remove things when absolutely necessary. I would place a bag of carbon on the lid of the skimmer to filter the ozone and if needed have the overflow for the cup just drain back into the sump .
I am not familiar with ozone being related to reduced hlle but if you tie that into carbon use then I guess that claim does have a correlation as some people claim that carbon contributes to hlle.
I base my ozone use off of orp but also partially on sent. If I can smell it then I turn it down. My thought is to only produce enough ozone that will all react within the skimmer body. There should not be any excess ozone left to create an odor which would need filtering out.
I have an Ozotech Poseidon 200 that I currently have set to 4/10 and do not use any carbon filtering.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ozone won’t help reduce heli but using ozone instead of carbon would take the regular use of carbon out of the equation where heli is concerned not to mention having to change out the carbon regularly.
I agree with the logic, I just have not seen anyone claim that benifit yet. The reduced maintenance I am 100% behind.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back