3/4" flexible tubing

wickette

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I replaced the pump and tubing a month ago, the tubing I was using was a space that came with a pump I got 15+ years ago. I can't find any tubing that's nearly as flexible. Every 3/4" ID tube Ive ordered is too rigid, the force unscrews the hose fittings (or cracks them off).

Poly tubing, braided tubing,black and clear pvc tubing are all too rigid.(even after running hot water through them). Right now I have an 15' of thin walled pvc tubbing coiled up under the tank just to run the pump, even with the extra slack, the tubing is holding 3 or the 4 corner of the pump in the air.

Im currently running a home made canister filter until I finish my 29g sump. As is, the coil of tubing wouldnt even fit in a 29g tank while keeping the pump submerged.

I have plenty of narrower ID tubing for gravel vac and smaller filters, even the thick walled ones are significantly more flexible than anything I can find. What kind of tubing am I supposed to be using and where can I get some

Jaebster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is very flexible, but expensive, watch out for kinking...

mcshams

Slave to my wife's reef desires
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just be careful that important flow lines don't kink. You don't want a return line obstructed... or any other line for that matter. Best of luck!

OP
OP
wickette

wickette

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is very flexible, but expensive, watch out for kinking...

Im gona press my luck and ask a follow questions, is this stuff strong enough to handle 600-900gph without bulging?
Is this tubing rope-like in flexibility or does it still keep its shipped cool shape?

Jaebster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im gona press my luck and ask a follow questions, is this stuff strong enough to handle 600-900gph without bulging?
Is this tubing rope-like in flexibility or does it still keep its shipped cool shape?
Many others use this type of silicone tubing to attach their return pumps to their hard plumbing, usually in short sections (about 6 inches to less than 2 feet) to decrease vibrations and to overcome offset of pump return output to hard plumbing lines. This, it should be able to handle the flow and not buldge. I'll be using it for my set-up but it's not installed yet, and still have a way to go to get there. You can contact BRS and ask them since they sell this stuff. Sorry I cant be of more help.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PVC Ultra flex or super flex is what you need. You can clue it to standard PVC fittings or use it with hose barbs and clamps. It is much stronger then any of the other options including standard schedule 40 PVC pipe. I have 40 foot long piece I use for water changes. I coil it up for storage to about a 3 foot circle, so it is much more flexible than Spaflex. It will not kink either. One day I drove it and parked on top of it with my truck with 100 gallons of water in it and It only deformed it slightly. Sadly Marine Depot no longer carries it but you can find it online.

Last edited:

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it will retain its shape and won't bulge out as you aren't actually running any serious psi through it. It is very flexible and thus can kink if you aren't careful, I've found that if you need to make a hard turn you can use zip ties or velcro strips sinched down just enough to force it to keep its shape.

OP
OP
wickette

wickette

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 5/8" and 1/2" id silicone from a lab supply place arrived today with a splitter. My output is going to a HOB refugium and a a spray bar. Two thinner tubes is cheaper, more flexible, got here a lot faster than 3/4") . This stuff is flexible enough, will do fine problem solved and thanks.

Not sure if its the same thing as BRF, this one is soft, frosty/milky white, heavy, springy... same?

I'm still trying to figure out what the gravel-vacuum/canister-filter is made from. Clear pvc tubing keeps the shape it comes in (or is you pass really hot water long enough it keep the new shape). The silicone tubing is nowhere near as rigid but wants to be straight. Eheims tubing is just floppy, can be tightly coiled shape without kinking.

The other tubing is as rigid as power cord/rock climbing rope. Clear but same material as this https://www.harborfreight.com/Multi-Use-Transfer-Pump-63144.html

Jaebster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if its the same thing as BRF, this one is soft, frosty/milky white, heavy, springy...
[/QUOTE]
Sounds the same

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 16.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 54 43.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back