3 Foot Office Nano

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off-topic for the current build, but what is in the sunburst anthias' diet? I've had a juvenile for a month and its just not interested in anything other than brine shrimp, so curious how you addressed diet for yours.

Also, I love everything about your setups.
Try live black worms, frozen cyclopeeze or reef caviar. Mine is also the same way, he won't touch pellets or flakes but will go after mysis every once in a while. But Put some live black worms in there and he becomes the most aggressive eater.

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love your first build and if this next one is anything like it, I'm sure it will be jaw dropping! Can't wait for more updates!

OP
OP
eschulist

eschulist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost ready to start plumbing. A few straggler parts and the stand top should be here this week.

Until then can I get some help / recommendations / suggestions on ways to improve my plumbing and or sump. Here are 2 of my main designs. I've probably created 3-5 others but they are unfinished as these two seemed to be the best layouts and showed the 2 main styles.

In all these examples I have 2 1" drains, and 2 1/2" returns. The main pump plumbing until the split is 3/4"

Internal Pump Layout. This one uses less plumbing and allows the pump to be taken offline without dripping water everywhere. The issue with this design if that the large plumbing assembly above the pump is 17.5" tall. The stand interior is only 27.5" so that means the sump can only be 10" tall to allow the sump to be cleanly removed at the union. After looking at it more this isn't a HUGE issue as I could have a taller sump. I'd just have to disconnect both ball valves unions and I could remove a 12-14" tall sump if I really had to. In my example I show a glass AquaMaxx that fits. Its only 9.5" tall. This allows for the union to be in place and for the entire sump to be slid out if needed. The issue with having such a shallow sump is when operating it will only have 5ish inches of water. This barely covers the whole pump and is actually less than the height of my NeoTherm heater which says it should be installed vertical.

7KsdjVk.png

8aOgNNy.jpg

Blue tape is holding the reactors together as I'm missing the thread / thread union to join the two.

The next example is having the pump external. This allows for a taller more cube like sump. Two extra valves are needed to remove the pump from service. I just noticed while looking at this image that I screwed up the placement of the wye check valve. It needs to be above the Tee for the reactor (Like in my internal example) otherwise the water will just back flow through the reactor when the pump is offline. The two examples also show the difference between having both drains on the back of the sump or on the left side of the sump. Is there much of a benefit either way?

VaTY3WE.png

By having them both in the back I could do a custom sized ZeroEdge sump like this.

Series-7-26-Single1.jpg

Or on the side like this
Series-7-36-D-copy1.jpg

For people that have sumps like this, with the filter sock offset from the drains, how much detritus is trapped at the bottom of the drains that never goes over the wall to get filtered out by the socks? I'd imagine going straight into the sock would make sure everything is filtered out but I lose the ability to have a cover to reduce noise and splashing.

If anyone has tips or sees anything that could be rearranged let me know (Just like I noticed my mistake in the order of the tee and wye check valve placement)

Last edited:

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm...I like option 2 much better. When I implemented the use of filters socks in a sump as you have pictured, my maintenance went way down. I have around 600 gph running through two 4" filter socks as you have pictured without any noticeable noise.

OP
OP
eschulist

eschulist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm...I like option 2 much better. When I implemented the use of filters socks in a sump as you have pictured, my maintenance went way down. I have around 600 gph running through two 4" filter socks as you have pictured without any noticeable noise.

When you say mainenance went down do you mean you had to do less work and it was easier? Or that you were more lax and didn't do it at often?

I've posted the same question in my local club and a lot of them said they liked the internal setup better. Tonight when I go home I'm going to fix the second one as there are fittings that need to be switched and that will change the piping a bit. What if I go with sump 2 (both drains on the left) and have the pump external? Is there a need for having the adjustable weir, filter block etc? What if it was just the 2 drains, 1 7" sock and then a little space for more equipment and that was it.

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say mainenance went down do you mean you had to do less work and it was easier? Or that you were more lax and didn't do it at often?

I've posted the same question in my local club and a lot of them said they liked the internal setup better. Tonight when I go home I'm going to fix the second one as there are fittings that need to be switched and that will change the piping a bit. What if I go with sump 2 (both drains on the left) and have the pump external? Is there a need for having the adjustable weir, filter block etc? What if it was just the 2 drains, 1 7" sock and then a little space for more equipment and that was it.

Yes, it meant it was less work and easier. I used to battle nutrients bad until I installed the sump w/filter socks. It sounds counter-productive, but now that the filter socks catch everything that goes through the system, I don't have food lost in the sump's "black hole" to deteriorate. Yes, there is some degradation in the socks, but I change them about every week or so. Sometimes longer if my nutrients are too low, which happens more times than not. No matter what, uneaten food is going to settle somewhere, I'd rather it be in something I can remove.

Another benefit is when vaccumming the sand, I can run the hose down into the filter sock and not lose any water. Once I'm done, change out the crap filled filter sock and be on my way.

On the adjustable weir, I would stick with it. Unless you plan on having the same skimmer and knowing exactly the water level in which it likes to run, having a bit of adjustment is great. And having the return pump outside of the tank could help with heat, considering the size of the tank.

OP
OP
eschulist

eschulist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New custom sized Series 7 ZeroEdge sump was delivered back in Oct.

Got it all unboxed and it fits very nicely. Now all I need is that dang COR.... come on Neptune, don't make me buy a Vectra or DCP 6500.

jCvmYyv.jpg

ojdQ0Lv.jpg

IUnMkXi.jpg

It comes with one 7" wide x 12" tall sock. I searched around and found out Aquatic Experts makes a custom 7" Ring x 8" Tall sock. This sump was designed so I can use those socks without it bunching up at the bottom.

https://www.aquaticexperts.com/coll...-x-8-inch-200-micron-filter-socks-long-2-pack

I only wish they made them in 100 Micron Mesh as the 200 Micron Felt ones are a huge pain in the butt to clean.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
New custom sized Series 7 ZeroEdge sump was delivered back in Oct.

Got it all unboxed and it fits very nicely. Now all I need is that dang COR.... come on Neptune, don't make me buy a Vectra or DCP 6500.

jCvmYyv.jpg

ojdQ0Lv.jpg

IUnMkXi.jpg

It comes with one 7" wide x 12" tall sock. I searched around and found out Aquatic Experts makes a custom 7" Ring x 8" Tall sock. This sump was designed so I can use those socks without it bunching up at the bottom.

https://www.aquaticexperts.com/coll...-x-8-inch-200-micron-filter-socks-long-2-pack

I only wish they made them in 100 Micron Mesh as the 200 Micron Felt ones are a huge pain in the butt to clean.

Very cool!!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice man! Can't wait to see more of it!

OP
OP
eschulist

eschulist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setup the Apex and fooled around. This is going to be a lot of fun once it's fully running. It was really cool to see my power consumption on an in stand led light as I turned it on and off. Sensing equipment failure and tracking trends is really going to be great.

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you fit the piping to your reactor? Did you drill it? I want to set up reactors in a similar way? And only ever see them with vinyl tubing push connects.

You're simple design is making me rethink parts of my new nano build. Really clean and manageable looking.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 19 35.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 17 31.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back