3 gallon pico frag tank? Need help

  • Thread starter Thread starter the bomb
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

the bomb

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 1, 2024
Messages
191
Reaction score
40
Location
milton Georgia
What state or country do you live in
Georgia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I need mechanical filtration for a 3 gallon softies frag tank? Also will I need any flow at all? And is there a light with lots of blues built for that size tank? Thanks for any advice.
 
Hello. With 3 Gallon Pico, I assume this is cube, I think your return pump should be enough to create the flow for your whole tank, if you still feeling not enough then upgrade to a higher GPH return pump. Note that LPS don't need much flow. For the filter, you might just need the bio media in the filter chamber, LPS need higher nutrient so you might don't need the machanical filtration. For the light, I recommend the bugget saving Hygger (30w) or Lominie, I have been using these lights for both my pico and frag tank and saw the coral growth happy with them. Or the Kessil A80 Tuna Blue will be your optimal choice.

Best!
 
I run a 6 gallon lagoon frag tank for softies. The return pump is plenty. I use a Kessil a80 tuna blue over it.
 
That’s very pricey though, I looked at a 40$ hygger light on Amazon that might work as well. Would the be a large difference for growing lps and softies?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 55 34.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new