3 gallon tank idea

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello guys I have a three gallon tank and I need ideas what to do with it for Ever salt and freshwater it’s 3 gallons

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There aren't really any freshwater fish I would put in 3 gallons, except maybe pygmy sunfish (maybe), or possibly a scarlet badis. The others need more space to move. Even micro rasboras should be in a tank over 5 gallons, they're zippy.

Saltwater, check out nanoreef.com, there's some really cool tanks on that site. Zoanthids are nice. A single tiny goby like a trimma would be fine, they perch and don't need space to swim.

OP
OP
Perthegallon

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There aren't really any freshwater fish I would put in 3 gallons, except maybe pygmy sunfish (maybe), or possibly a scarlet badis. The others need more space to move. Even micro rasboras should be in a tank over 5 gallons, they're zippy.

Saltwater, check out nanoreef.com, there's some really cool tanks on that site. Zoanthids are nice. A single tiny goby like a trimma would be fine, they perch and don't need space to swim.
Awesome thank you

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was an interesting thread before about good nano fish.

Discordipinna griessingeri. Much more beautiful than its name.

Will you have the tank heated? not heated? Plumbed to a larger system? Filtered? These are all aspects that will affect the eventual stocking.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh, flaming prawn gobies! Incredible fish, but expensive and shy. Best in a little tank so you can see them.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, flaming prawn gobies! Incredible fish, but expensive and shy. Best in a little tank so you can see them.
Exactly! I want a pair so I can breed them, but alas, I already have plans...and simply not enough aquariums/the budget for everything.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wonder if they might actually be shoaling fish? I hear they have some interesting displays when kept together. I would really love to have a 10gal tank with half a dozen of them, maybe some sort of chill dither fish, and not much else. Maybe zoas and whatnot. Either they'll group up and reveal that it's a thing they do, or they'll just kind of ignore each other. Be expensive, though- I better hope someone figures out how to breed them. They might actually be cheaper captive-bred than wild-caught.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if they might actually be shoaling fish? I hear they have some interesting displays when kept together. I would really love to have a 10gal tank with half a dozen of them, maybe some sort of chill dither fish, and not much else. Maybe zoas and whatnot. Either they'll group up and reveal that it's a thing they do, or they'll just kind of ignore each other. Be expensive, though- I better hope someone figures out how to breed them. They might actually be cheaper captive-bred than wild-caught.
Or kill each other...that's another option as well...

I'll add them to the list of fish I'll breed at some point. Right after the firefish. And the Banggai Cardinals. And the randall's prawn gobies. And the tanaka's possum wrasses. And the blue lined pipefish....and the black lyretail saltwater mollies...

I bet they'd work well with red spot cardinals (Apogon parvulus) too....

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, yeah, murder is a potential thing. I've heard that people keep them together without any problems, just the males doing little flickery fin displays at each other, so I don't think these do murder.

Are there actual saltwater mollies? I know freshwater mollies can be acclimated to salt, but I've never heard of an actual black saltwater species.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, yeah, murder is a potential thing. I've heard that people keep them together without any problems, just the males doing little flickery fin displays at each other, so I don't think these do murder.

Are there actual saltwater mollies? I know freshwater mollies can be acclimated to salt, but I've never heard of an actual black saltwater species.
Mollies are a euryhaline species, so technically they're a saltwater species AND a freshwater species. Take into account that fish farms in Asia will oftentimes use saltwater since it's cheaper, and the freshwater mollies you buy at the petstore are easily acclimated to saltwater. I want to work with linebreeding the fish I have to get better lyretails, more iridescence in the dorsal/caudal fins, and more overall hardiness in the fish (i.e. they can survive to 68 F, can handle saltwater, and aren't prone to the clampy "livebearer disease")

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ah, sounds good. As long as you don't breed them like bettas are, to the point where the poor thing's wearing a permanent wedding dress and snags on rocks. Practical wear only for fish! And lots of genetic diversity would be good, too, once you get the traits down.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah, I want nicely developed lyres that aren't overly stringy, an iridescent caudal fin between the lyres, and a very prominent (but not droopy) dorsal fin. And agreed on the genetic diversity.

OP
OP
Perthegallon

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There was an interesting thread before about good nano fish.

Discordipinna griessingeri. Much more beautiful than its name.

Will you have the tank heated? not heated? Plumbed to a larger system? Filtered? These are all aspects that will affect the eventual stocking.
Heated and sponge filter in the back

OP
OP
Perthegallon

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is the tank

image.jpg image.jpg

Salemsoul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's pretty cool looking! I'm not sure how large the dimensions are but you could try comb jellies? Maybe?
JellyFish Warehouse is a local company. They have a ton of details on how to keep jellyfish & they also sell them.

There aren't any FW fish you could keep on a tank that small but you could try shrimp! There are some cool FW shrimp and you could make a moss wall on the back.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Huh, a jelly tank. That would still work OK for a single tiny saltwater goby, since they hop around in all directions and don't need a lot of back-and-forth space, but ABSOLUTELY do not put any freshwater fish in there. Freshwater fish need space to move horizontally.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm more concerned about how flow patterns in that tank work. Like...it's obviously based off of something like a kreisel design. But is the water supposed to flow upwards and through the grates from somewhere? If there's a grate at the bottom, that will need to be not blocked (no substrate).

Dwarf seahorses might do well in the tank, and you could probably use it as a rearing tank for some fish larvae. But a lot of the species we discussed previously are going to be out due to the tank not being a standard rectangular prism.

Ctenophores might work, but they're going to need to be kept cold. I'm attaching a Jelly Care Manual if you go this route.

Attachments

• Jelly Care Manual 2013.pdf
    512 KB · Views: 32

Salemsoul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm more concerned about how flow patterns in that tank work. Like...it's obviously based off of something like a kreisel design. But is the water supposed to flow upwards and through the grates from somewhere? If there's a grate at the bottom, that will need to be not blocked (no substrate).

Dwarf seahorses might do well in the tank, and you could probably use it as a rearing tank for some fish larvae. But a lot of the species we discussed previously are going to be out due to the tank not being a standard rectangular prism.

Dwarf seahorses are another great suggestion for this tank!! Seahorse savvy sells CB babies, but they eat live baby brine and need to be fed multiple times a day. So somewhat specialized care but very cute and a great suggestion

Back