3 Radions over a 93 gal frameless

zdstrong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello y’all,

I have a unique lighting situation which i would love some comments on. The tank is a 93 gallon rimless with dimensions of 30” X 30” X 24”. Original plan included two XR15’s aligned front to back with two 24” T5 bulbs on either side of Radions. After reviewing costs (T5 retrofit kits, bulbs, replacement bulbs in the future) and the space required in fixture to house everything, I thought of this alternative.

A third Radion will cost the same over time and is much more compact. The picture of tank stand and light fixture is a similar design to what i will fab for my fixture. Only difference being the three XR15’s as apposed to the one XR30 pictured. The drawing is drawn to scale. The two sets of perimeter lines drawn represent the recommended 18” spread of the radion and the 24” maximum spread as stated by ecotech.

Before i weld up the frame i am hoping i ca get your thoughts. Changing arrangement or anything you can think of. Any input is appreciated!!

E8C46E09-05CD-4913-A534-EFAC77394ACA.jpeg 78089ECC-0CED-49F8-832B-AD63E55DAC84.jpeg 2E8FBB45-4155-497F-A9E3-9D4FC2CE0E1C.jpeg

skyrne_isk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally? I would not butt the units together in a center cluster. You're going to amplify a spotlight effect of intensity where the three units meet and have a ton of PAR in the direct center of the tank (which you would work a little bit around by scaping around this "hot" spot). Short version, at a minimum I'd push the two side by side XR15s out toward the corners.... but can see your tracing of the coverage boundary of the lights and how that intersects with the outside dimensions of the tank.

link81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the above, i think i would separate the back 2 a couple inches, and move the front one forward a couple inches.

Jimmyneptune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the above, i think i would separate the back 2 a couple inches, and move the front one forward a couple inches.
I agree, but I would put two in the front and one in the back. The overflow in the left rear corner doesn't need any light. If you keep your current configuration you will loose maybe 30-50% of the light on the overflow.

skyrne_isk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also prefer to have the two units in the front, not the back. Most of the time we have more of the open part of our structures toward the front - for viewing - while more of the rock structures toward the back. I always prefer to light the more open areas of the tank - where the corals are likely to be placed. Of course, your scaping plan should dictate this - not some random's opinon :)

Edit (ninja'd, great minds think alike ;) )

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back