Votes: 14 37.8%

• Total voters

turbois300

Man In Need of Sleep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. currently I have 3 tanks: display / DSB-Chaeto Fuge / Sump.

My question is: Is is better to combine the fuge and sump or is it better if they are separate or does it matter?

My set up is like this: 90 display drains to 29 fuge with some LR 5"+ DSM and a metric ton of Chaeto this then drains to a 38 sump with my skimmer, heater, carbon, heroine, and return pumps it back up.

Any benifits of keeping it the same? I'm thinking of switching to a 75-100 all in one sump fuge. Thanks for you opinions

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If I could do seperate I would. Meaning if I had a fish room or something where it was hidden. If not I would do a combo under the stand.

Lytehouse

just havin' fun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I could do seperate I would. Meaning if I had a fish room or something where it was hidden. If not I would do a combo under the stand.

That's what I would do. If I had the room to seperat the fuge and slow down the flow that would be great.

OP
OP
turbois300

turbois300

Man In Need of Sleep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the insight guys. I do have a fishroom (man cave or whatever you call it). I have 2 daughters and my wife so when the estrogen gets too thick I go and hide in there!! I keep a snowflake in the fuge with some hermits and snails. I have a niger trigger in the sump cause i like to feed him live fods sometimes and he's a bit too aggressive for the display, but it's my wife's favorite fish. I put the 90 up tall and the 29 and 38 are on stands so that gravity does all the work except the return.

Thanks again brutha's!!!

mofrags

stupid and happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have them seperate. I have a 169g display, a seperate fuge the flows to frag tank that I am about to rig into a carlson surge between the two. these two tanks and my skimmer flow into stock tanks. the first is a pruge tank for bubbles ect and everything runs through filter socks. this is plumbed down low and flows to the returns through a mangrove runout. the autotopper is in this sump. so I guess i have 5 tanks? I like them seperate as I am not always cramped hunched over and spilling water, but with the new house this is the first time I have been able to set up a fish room, otherwise I don't know how you can fit all that stuff under a tank without a combo setup

OP
OP
turbois300

turbois300

Man In Need of Sleep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definately think the fishroom makes this hobby much more enjoyable (to maintain).. . everything is right there!! Thanks all for the comments. I'm going to keep all things separate!!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back