Water change shenanigans

TortillaMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 5 foot 130 gallon reef tank and change 15 gallons of it out weekly. I get the temperature and salinity all perfect and drain it out into 5 gallon jugs.

What I do is:
1: turn off my wave makers
2: turn off the return pump and let the sump equalize
3: drain the water
4: turn return pump back on and pump new water in through the display.

Problems:
I drain the water just fine but when it comes to filling the slump back up, the return pump starts to run dry. so I have to quickly grab more water and add it to the return section before the pump burns out. How do I make it so that by refilling the tank the return pump does not run dry?

Another issue is that when I turn my sump back on a bunch of micro bubbles are in the sock+ skimmer section make their way to the return pump and put a lot of micro bubbles in the display as well as return chamber. I do not knock the skimmer or anything. Should I be adding water to the return chamber or the display?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not understanding why the return pump would run dry.
Wether you drain water from the display tank or from the sump, I always fill it back up with new water first and then turn on the return pump.

EDIT: running the return pump with insufficient water might also be the reason for the bubbles if its sucking air.

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I do is:
1: turn off my wave makers
2: turn off the return pump and let the sump equalize
3: drain the water
4: turn return pump back on and pump new water in through the display.
Do you turn on the return pump BEFORE replacing the water you removed? If so, there's your problem.

OP
OP
TortillaMan

TortillaMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you turn on the return pump BEFORE replacing the water you removed? If so, there's your problem.
I turn on the return and then pump water back in as it pumping the excess water from turning the sump off back in. Should I replace the water and then the sump back on?

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you pumping it into the sump? I drain 30 gallons out of my 120 with all pumps off. Then I run a 60 foot python hose from the mixing station in the garage to fill the display. Then turn the pumps on. Is there a need to add the water back while pumps are running for some reason?

OP
OP
TortillaMan

TortillaMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you pumping it into the sump? I drain 30 gallons out of my 120 with all pumps off. Then I run a 60 foot python hose from the mixing station in the garage to fill the display. Then turn the pumps on. Is there a need to add the water back while pumps are running for some reason?
I am not pumping it into the sump but getting jugs of saltwater to put into the return section because of the micro bubbles. Should I drain and then fill back up what I remove and then turn the return pump back on last?

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turn on the return and then pump water back in as it pumping the excess water from turning the sump off back in. Should I replace the water and then the sump back on?
Replace the water you removed, then start the pump. You are running the pump dry because there isn't enough water in the system when you first start it up!

You can always adjust the return chamber level after the system is running.

NeedAReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do the same but I put water in until it fills up enough to again start to drain into the sump, then I can turn the pump on and continue to refill it.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just invest in a couple of brute 32 gallon cans with the coasters. Any cheap water pump will work to pump water from the can to the display tank and you can do 15 gallons all in one shot.
This. Sicce makes that nice flat-bottom utility pump that would be perfect.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back