3 week Quarantine- Disease?

JiminyCat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a Coral beauty in quarantine for three weeks. It looks good... gills, scales and fins are colorful and pristine. However, as I have it drip acclimating to the display (reef), I notice a cloudy spot on one eye. Doesn't look like velvet or ich... And it has bee three weeks. Can it be an issue due to poor filtration and lack of carbon in the quarantine tank? I did weekly water changes.

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm... Hard to say without seeing the fish. You may want to check for flukes. Do you have a macro lens or good magnifying glass?

ks_reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I think its a good idea to treat every fish in qt. No matter if they show signs or not. Ive read that ich can be present on fish with no signs. Plus u dont know if internal parasites are present. I use shrimp soaked prazi pro a few times in qt for that.covers a few bases . Puts odds better in your favor this way. As for the eye, others probably give u a better idea with a pic

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes it can just be a minor injury that'll heal its self but if your in question I'd go back to the QT and keep an eye on it. Wouldn't hurt to use some prazi I case of flukes.

OP
OP
J

JiminyCat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. It's near impossible to snap a usable pic. The fish is always on the move or hiding. I'll look into flukes but read that if it's one eye it can be injury or poor water quality or both. Quarantine tank is not filtered as well as display by far!

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most times I've had eye issues they've gone away on their own, in some bad cases the fish has lost the use of the one eye but still recovered. Almost all issues were right out of the shipping bags but I have had a couple injuries in the display and they've always healed in just a couple days

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I think its a good idea to treat every fish in qt. No matter if they show signs or not. Ive read that ich can be present on fish with no signs. Plus u dont know if internal parasites are present. I use shrimp soaked prazi pro a few times in qt for that.covers a few bases . Puts odds better in your favor this way. As for the eye, others probably give u a better idea with a pic

+1 Always better to be safe than sorry, Prazi-Pro followed by either hypo or cupramine in 4+ weeks of QT

Cheers, Todd

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say its just an injury form the initial fish being put into the DT, they usually scatter and hide quickly, and can incur a bump or 2 from this scatter.

Deinonych

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 Always better to be safe than sorry, Prazi-Pro followed by either hypo or cupramine in 4+ weeks of QT

Cheers, Todd

+2

Prazipro is one of the gentlest medications available. I treat ALL new fish with it.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back