Need help on what to do with White spot disease

josephgr92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I am currently facing a dilemma on what to do with my tank as treatment action.
About a month or more ich or ich alike disease appeared on my tank and took out some of the fish.

I bought a quarantine tank and placed the fish that seem to be sick on copper for a month aprox.

About a week ago everything seems to fine and i placed back the treated fish on the main tank.
But after couple of days the disease seems to be still present in the tank and i can see white spots on fins here and there.

The issue i am facing is what treatment action to take shall i remove all the fish to the quarantine tank (its aprox. 100L)
treat with copper and be fishless for a month or so and feed them heavily to make the fat and happy.

Or remove the invert and corals to the QT tank and treat the main tank with copper bear in mind that the equipment of the QT tank is really basic light filtration and wave-maker

Here are some info of the livestock of the main Tank (500L)

Fish: 7 Damsel - 2 small clown fish - 1 porcupine puffer - 1 Magnificus fox face - 1 Trigger ****** - 1 Blenny Midas - 1 Goby - 1 Salarias - 1 Wrasse
Corals :2 euphyllia - 2 sarcophyton - 1 tubipora musica - 4 Zoanthides - 1bubble tip anemone orange - 1 small frag gonipora - 1 Gorgonia
Invert: 2 shrimps - 2 sea stars - 3 sea urchins - bunch of snails and hermit carbs not sure with the number
1 Compartemnt of the SUB is with Chaeto macro algea (refugium)

Thank you all in advance.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello everyone,

About a month or more ich or ich alike disease appeared on my tank and took out some of the fish.

I bought a quarantine tank and placed the fish that seem to be sick on copper for a month aprox.

About a week ago everything seems to fine and i placed back the treated fish on the main tank.
But after couple of days the disease seems to be still present in the tank and i can see white spots on fins here and there.

The issue i am facing is what treatment action to take shall i remove all the fish to the quarantine tank (its aprox. 100L)
treat with copper and be fishless for a month or so and feed them heavily to make the fat and happy.

Or remove the invert and corals to the QT tank and treat the main tank with copper bear in mind that the equipment of the QT tank is really basic light filtration and wave-maker

Fish: 7 Damsel - 2 small clown fish - 1 porcupine puffer - 1 Magnificus fox face - 1 Trigger ****** - 1 Blenny Midas - 1 Goby - 1 Salarias - 1 Wrasse
Corals :2 euphyllia - 2 sarcophyton - 1 tubipora musica - 4 Zoanthides - 1bubble tip anemone orange - 1 small frag gonipora - 1 Gorgonia
Invert: 2 shrimps - 2 sea stars - 3 sea urchins - bunch of snails and hermit carbs not sure with the number

These fish all share a common safe range of 2.2 for copper treatment however, what copper product were you using . . . cupramine or copperssfe/copper owner and at what treatment level were you using?
Did you leave the display tank completely fishless (fallow) and for how long?
As long as you have inverts and coral, do Not remove them and treat tank as they will likely never be able to go back in the display

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello everyone,

I would remove the fish if you can and QT them (with copper) - there are 4 (or more) possibilities that might have caused this- 1. Your copper levels actually were low. 2. you didn't wait the required fallow period. 3. You copper tests were in error. 4. The diagnosis was not ich, but something else.

EDIT - I didn't see @vetteguy53081 's post - agree with him. Additionally, if you could send a picture of your current fish?

OP
OP
J

josephgr92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These fish all share a common safe range of 2.2 for copper treatment however, what copper product were you using . . . cupramine or copperssfe/copper owner and at what treatment level were you using?
Did you leave the display tank completely fishless (fallow) and for how long?
As long as you have inverts and coral, do Not remove them and treat tank as they will likely never be able to go back in the display
Hello thanks for the reply
I used cupramine from Seachem the quantity of copper was 0,5 in the Salifert copper test as for the fish i did not remove them all I managed to remove those with obvious symptoms. The issue now is for sure the display tank has the diseases is it better to remove all fish while destroying all the scape or remove inverts etc or is there any other fish medication / reef safe ?

OP
OP
J

josephgr92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would remove the fish if you can and QT them (with copper) - there are 4 (or more) possibilities that might have caused this- 1. Your copper levels actually were low. 2. you didn't wait the required fallow period. 3. You copper tests were in error. 4. The diagnosis was not ich, but something else.

EDIT - I didn't see @vetteguy53081 's post - agree with him. Additionally, if you could send a picture of your current fish?
Thanks for the reply
The copper levels as per salifert test were .50 range the fish where treated more than the recommended period if i am correct as for diagnosis after 4 days there was improvement on the fish with the spots almost gone so i believe that copper was the correct option.
My issue basically is how to i remove the disease from the main tank is fishless an option or nothing will happen and if so how long for the disease to run its corse.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello thanks for the reply
I used cupramine from Seachem the quantity of copper was 0,5 in the Salifert copper test as for the fish i did not remove them all I managed to remove those with obvious symptoms. The issue now is for sure the display tank has the diseases is it better to remove all fish while destroying all the scape or remove inverts etc or is there any other fish medication / reef safe ?
Just to clarify - you didn't remove all of the fish from the DT? If not - you have to assume (whatever disease you're worried about) could still be there.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
BTW - without a picture, etc - it's impossible to know how to completely advise you. Re-reading your post - when you treat 1 fish with copper (that was exposed to your tank) - you need to treat all fish with copper.
Thanks for the reply
The copper levels as per salifert test were .50 range the fish where treated more than the recommended period if i am correct as for diagnosis after 4 days there was improvement on the fish with the spots almost gone so i believe that copper was the correct option.
My issue basically is how to i remove the disease from the main tank is fishless an option or nothing will happen and if so how long for the disease to run its corse.
I thought I mentioned - the fallow period (without fish) for your display is 45-76 days - depending on which protocol you can use. And yes - this assumes fishes

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the reply
So I would say - it's possible that the copper dropped between tests. This depends on the number of times you measured - The copper level itself must remain therapeutic every minute

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks for the reply
Removing all fish was a necessity as you allowed hosts to remain for parasites to reproduce successfully, reason they are back as they likely never left. You will need to start the cycle again for 30 days removing all fish at treat at .45 copper level as a compromise for fish that are uncomfortable at full .5 level

OP
OP
J

josephgr92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clarify - you didn't remove all of the fish from the DT? If not - you have to assume (whatever disease you're worried about) could still be there.

yes i didn’t remove all of them

OP
OP
J

josephgr92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your replies.
Yes i was not clear that some of the fish were removed from the display tank and QT and some where left I thought treating them and doing some water changes might help the issue.
The best course of action from what you say is to qt all the fish and let the tank without fish for 1.5 month min

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back