30 day challenge

KellyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve decided that as of today Im challenging myself to go against my normal instincts and leave my tank alone for 30 days. I have a bad habit of always trying to fix every little thing I see. Adjust the lighting intensity, schedule, even change to different lights, change flow, coral locations, dose everything under the sun all while thinking that next thing is going to be the thing that makes my tank explode into growth and color, adjust PH and ALK...the list goes on and on. I’ve tested everything and I’ve come to the conclusion that the only thing wrong with my tank besides the fact it still has “new tank” syndrome is the fact that I’m constantly fiddling with it and that is stressing out my corals. The ones I don’t touch are doing good, my fish are not dead or dying and the ones I’m trying to save or help are doing worse than before I messed with them. So at this point I’m going to let nature play out and the strong will survive and the ones that don’t might not have made it anyways. With the exception of feeding the fish, topping off water and weekly testing...my hands are staying out of the water.

rwreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have gone years without testing (cal,alk,mag,phos,nitrate, ammonia..) I do monitor ph with a digital meter that stays in my tank and temp/salinity course. At this point I can "see" if my tank is healthy.

I agree, leave it alone and don't chase numbers. Be consistent and you will be successful. Test if you truly need answers and things are going downhill or want dose etc..

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 116 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back