30 Gallon - Newbie - Looking to learn

Jaxie

New Member
View Badges
Joined
May 1, 2023
Messages
5
Reaction score
1
Location
USA
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brand new to any type of fish tank. Taking over my teenagers tank in hope of a conversation with him, LOL.
I would like to have lots of corals. Especially the ones that the fish like.

30 Gallon
1 Fire Shrimp
1 Goby? I don't know what brand
2 Oscillaris Clown Fish
3 Chromis
3 hermit crabs (i think)
1 zoanthid (he tells me)

I already failed at my first Torch coral.
My first question, What intensity should I set my Blade Grow lights on? (I copied a recipe from online but intensity isn't set)
2nd question, water parameters seem good. What should I learn/do next if I eventually try another coral?
3rd question, which coral should I try to get 1st so i don't kill it like i did before?

IMG_3034(1).jpg IMG_3070(1).jpg
 
Is that my Goby type?
Yes, looks like a spotted mandarin goby. They predominately eat copepods but can be trained to eat prepared foods. How old is the tank?
 
They can, but it’s hit or miss. Some take to frozen, and some don’t. If he’s been in there a while, and looks fine, then you may have a large enough copepod population built up. Copepods are like little bugs living in your rock and sand.

mandarins have small stomachs so need to eat frequently to survive. So in theory if he was only eating frozen food like brine shrimp, he would have to be fed a few times a day.
 

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new