30 gallon Sump Design - Refugium, Skimmer, Return?

AmatuerAuer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I am in the process of designing a 30 gallon sump for my 75 gallon reef tank. My sump will include:
- Reef Octopus 150
- Refugium with DSB/Live rock/whatever
- Mag Drive 9.5 return
- Heater

My question is, how do I order the sump 'areas'?
- Water comes in and then goes over a baffle/bubble trap -> Refugium -> Baffle/trap to containg particulate -> Skimmer -> Baffle/bubble trap -> Return

- OR -

- Water comes in to the same area as the skimmer -> Baffle/bubble trap -> Regugium -> Baffle/bubble trap -> Return

- OR -

- Water comes in via split tubing (One part to the skimmer section on the left / One part to the refugium on the right) -> Both Skimmer and refugium have baffles/traps seperating them from a central return. -- This model would allow me to control the flow rate through the refugium.

Thank you!
-AA

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a sump is easy.... water comes in to a section (optional baffle in that area) then there is a baffle with a sponge and another baffle coming from the top, and then your pump section...
you can make is much more complicated if you want to

basic

crazy fun

OP
OP
AmatuerAuer

AmatuerAuer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand the general concept of a dump, I also understand the various options (refugium, LR/LS, sponge etc) that could go in the sump.

I am just curious as to what more established and Sr. reefers think is the best way to do things.

Thanks KorD!

VicD81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your best bet is to have it go skimmer-fuge-bubble trap-return, or better yet have the skimmer and Fuge on opposite ends with the return in the middle but you would need bubble traps on either side.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AmatuerAuer

AmatuerAuer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
VicD- I agree, I like the split model with a slower movement over the huge and controllable flow through the skimmer with a central return. Seems more customizable that way.

Thanks!

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand the general concept of a dump, I also understand the various options (refugium, LR/LS, sponge etc) that could go in the sump.

I am just curious as to what more established and Sr. reefers think is the best way to do things.

Thanks KorD!

I agree I am not a "senior reefer" but I do build custom sumps as a side business... I was just answering you question. .
I will now shut up and eat popcorn and watch what other have to say on the subject.

Last edited:

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like mine split with the return in the middle. No need for bubble trap on the fuge side. Just a partition. Just a bubble trap on the side with the skimmer. Your really just trapping the micro bubbles from the skimmer. The flow through the refugium doesn't need to be high enough for bubbles to be a issue.

OP
OP
AmatuerAuer

AmatuerAuer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heathd - I plan to have a 6" DSB. What kind of water depth would you recommend over that?

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn't answer that honestly I have no personal experience with a dsb. I run my refugium bare bottom and keep a wp 10 in it to spin my cheato. My sump is setup for triton method.

Cheato setup: http://youtu.be/ThFZiSuePcE

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my stand and sump.

Attachments

• 1424733814632.jpg
    1424733814632.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 1,340

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 26 32.1%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 14.8%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back