Sump baffle support

ShakeyGizzard

RedNeck Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don know if this old news or not, but anyway. I decided to silicone glass strips I cut to support the acrylic dividers in my sump. I do know that the silicone to acrylic bond is not very strong, but silicone and glass bond is very strong. This should make me sleep at night better knowing my sump wont come apart. If your wondering why I did not make my baffles from glass, its all about cost. The thinner glass was cheap and easy to cut. I DIY'ed my baffles from acrylic. I did purchase some 1/4 inch black to block out refugium light to other parts of the sump. The second strip is for the bubble trap, will stick another glass piece on it to support acrylic piece going in the trap.

20240102_191530.jpg
20240102_191535.jpg

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
decided to silicone glass strips I cut to support the acrylic dividers in my sump
It's not a bad idea, and you are correct, silicone does not bond as well to plastic. That said, I built every single one of my sumps and used acrylic baffles. They have lasted over 20 years without any issues.

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my 40b has acrylic baffles that i used silicone to install. I would have to spend a lot of time to remove them if needed

1704243836489.png

Last edited:

Joj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made some baffles with thicker acrylic that didn’t bend with water pressure and those worked well with silicone holding them. I made baffles with thinner acrylic and those blended with water pressure so the silicone didn’t hold them in (obviously). So take thickness into account too.

OP
OP
ShakeyGizzard

ShakeyGizzard

RedNeck Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made some baffles with thicker acrylic that didn’t bend with water pressure and those worked well with silicone holding them. I made baffles with thinner acrylic and those blended with water pressure so the silicone didn’t hold them in (obviously). So take thickness into account too.
Hopefully the 1/4 inch holds up

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 115 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back