30G breeders X 2

secretreefer

**MAD PHANTOM SCIENTIST**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI fellow reefers,
Been kinda underground for the past couple months. In the process of breaking down my 180G tank to put 2 x 30G breeders side by side for lagoon style tanks. I got tired of standing on a short ladder and still not able to touch the bottom of my tank. LMFOOO.....I just picked up the tanks a couple days ago. It works out perfectly because i can use the existing stand i have the 180G on to home these 2 tanks. I'm trying to figure out the plumbing on these guys, sand or not, and flow situation. these are 36x18x13. Looking for advice plumbing these guys to a 20G long i'll be using as a sump. Also the tanks i picked up have center braces. I've never seen 30G breeders with them on before. Should i dump these and get the ones without the center brace? Any info would be appreciated.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go for a custom shallow tank, I have 2 40B tanks, and they look way smaller than a 125, which is the same thing but 8" taller.

Degener8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool idea I hope it works out for what your wanting. The bracing is likely due to them using a slightly less thick glass than the ones not braced.

Does the brace distract or limit you with the tank? If no..then no reason to return and get different ones. If yes then go for the open tops.

As far as plumbing I don't knwo if you want to drill em or not but since iuts a totally new setup I would go with either herbie or bean animal overflows. All the research I have done makes me want to drill my tanks for this.. which I will once I upgrade my 75 in some months ahead. You I assume will be using a single return witha Y to both tanks and valved to get equal flow. These full siphon type overflows will allow you the room needed to take alot of flow through em.

Are you sure a 20L will give you enough room for 2 seperate overflows into them? I would suggest some tap water tests to make sure you have the proportions right. umm other than that .. Good luck with the build.

OP
OP
secretreefer

secretreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. I appreciate the input. i've never done 2 tanks side by side. I really wanted to do the same footprint as my 180G but maybe 18 inches tall but it would be pretty pricey. i might go that road if i sell this 180 guy quick and dump the 2 30 breeders. i'll check the thickness of the glass. It did feel pretty thin and light as i was picking them up. There is a possibility that the middle brace might end up bothering me.

OP
OP
secretreefer

secretreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update. nix the 2x 30 breeders. i found a good price on a 72x18x18 lagoon style tank to be built.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 83 48.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 31.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%

Back