30G Oceanic Cube Seahorse Build

M@!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my seahorses, two female Reidi, in QT for a about a month and it's time to finish up there final home. The final DT will be a mix of display macro with a few softies.

For the overflow I am running a 1" Herbie setup with a 13.5"x4.5" glass overflow. This was my first time drilling a tank. I was nervous at first but it all went well.
photo21.jpg

Return pump is a Rio 2500. I was going to run a 1/2" spray bar, but with some advice from the more experienced water will be returned at the top of the tank via 3/4" black vinyl tube and PVC. I plan on heating and flattening some 3/4" PVC to spread the flow in the tank. I'm going to use a Koralia Nano to keep the detritus build off the bottom of the rock. I have both a 240 and 425, any opinions on what would work better for a SH tank?

I using a 50 QT plastic container for the sump. It fit's like a glove in the stand. I'm going to build some sort of acrylic enclose for the return pump to keep the mico-bubbles out. Skimming will be handled by a SCA-150, similar to this one SCA - 302. With the high bio-load I hope this skimmer will work will.
photo22.jpg

Live rock was cooked for about 6 weeks and I will be seeding with an additional few pounds from a 12G Nano Cube. The Nano Cube is currently housing my macro and softies.
Lighting will be 12 - Philips Luxeon 3 Watt LEDs (50/50 Cool White & Royal blue). I was going to mount them 6" above the tank using 90 Degree optics, but have since decided to move them down to 4" above the tank. Think this will be enough light?? My stocking list so far:
  • Kenya Tree
  • Random Leather
  • Red grape Algea
  • Scroll Algea
  • Grape Caulerpa
  • Red Branching Macro
  • Dragon's Breath.
Here is a crappy sell phone pic of how it sits today. Lighting in the pic is 8 LED's with no optics. Now I just need to finish up the canopy and let it cycle!

SHtank.jpg

Thanks for reading,
Matt

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Love the aquascape! Following!

OP
OP
M@!

M@!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I think the arch came out really well. I wasn't happy with my LED color so I decided to order an aquastyle 14 LED kit. I'm thinking for the final lighting setup I will run the aquastyle kit with 5 CW, 5 RB, 4 UV and 8 of the Luxeons. Hopefully that will be a good mix for my macro and few softies.

Picked up some Turbo 900 today to try to jump start my cycle. Tired of changing water every day in they seahorse QT tank. :tongue:

wysiwyg

marine predator man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
love the seahorse tank as far as led lighting and growing macro algae you should be fine but i have never used leds for my macro algae tank i run 4 ho t5s and 2 actinicis

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back