32.5 Gallon Fluval Flex for Saltwater?

Pea Puffer 67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I have done some research and I’m ready to start my first saltwater tank. I found a very cheap 32.5 Gallon Fluval Flex used for saltwater up for sale (used) and I’m thinking of buying it. With a few adjustments in lighting and powerheads, I want to turn it into a reef tank. The tank itself has a built in filter in it, but I need help on deciding what filtering material I would need. Any suggestions?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the sponges that come with them, cut out the middle section that divides the media and make it so the water can more easily flow to the media (at least that was my thought when I had the evo 13.5 which has the same sponge). You can put some bio media by the pump such as marine pure balls. The sponge tends to hold a lot of bacteria so keep that in mind when you clean it (I recommend using old tank water to clean it when doing a water change once a week. I'd recommend a bag of chemipure elite or maybe some phosphate media on one side and high quality carbon on the other. What filter media you need all depends on the situation. I think the best thing when starting a new tank is getting some biodiversity in there be that live phyto, bacteria such as eco balance or waste away, the necessary nitrogen cycle bacteria, pns probio, etc. Most algae problems from a new tank come from not testing phosphates (for some reason new reefers just ignore that idk why) and having not much to compete with the algae. Also make sure to get dry rock (with live sand if you can) and do the cycling yourself. Pests from live rock (and not dipping corals) can be extremely frustrating to new reefers

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Pea Puffer 67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the sponges that come with them, cut out the middle section that divides the media and make it so the water can more easily flow to the media. You can put some bio media by the pump such as marine pure balls. The sponge tends to hold a lot of bacteria so keep that in mind when you clean it (I recommend using old tank water to clean it when doing a water change once a week.
And I can just reuse it right?

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 46 26.3%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 41 23.4%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 42 24.0%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 42 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back