32.5 gallon FOWLR Build

Mizu

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 13, 2024
Messages
104
Reaction score
30
Location
USA
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone! I'm finally starting my Fish Only Aquarium and I wanted to document everything I do so I can look back at my build at a later date:

Fluval Flex Aquarium Kit, 32.5 US Gal / 123 L - Fish Only Tank uses two sponge filters each with Activated carbon inserts and BIOMAX inserts. I also added two additional Bio Blocks in the back chamber.

Other Equipment:
Heater

My (very hopeful) Fish Stocking List: (Total 7 fish)
Pearl Toby Pufferfish
McCosker's Flasher Wrasse
Helfrichi Firefish
Lyretail Dartfish x 2
Clown Goby, Green - Marine Fish or Clown Goby, Citrinis
Yasha White Ray Shrimp Goby or Sleeper Gold Head Goby

Clean-Up-Crew:
Harlequin Shrimp x 2 (I have a lot of questions about these, Will the puffer fish eat them? Will they pair with a shrimp goby? will they eat the fire shrimp?)
Blood Red Fire Shrimp
Gold Snail x 2
Nassarius Snail x 2
 
Last edited:
Step 1: I made my RO/DI water with a TDS reading of 0 (PSI was only around 25)

Step 2: I started my aquascape using Seiryu Stones that I cured in a freshwater & white vinegar mix for about 10 hours. I glued the stones together with Reef safe glue. To round out the decorations I have two unpainted 3D Printed PETG statues and some small decorations from Imagitarium.
 
Here are some really low quality photos:
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20240515_173937647.jpg
    PXL_20240515_173937647.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 89
  • PXL_20240515_173947531.jpg
    PXL_20240515_173947531.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 76
  • PXL_20240515_173953335.jpg
    PXL_20240515_173953335.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 64
  • PXL_20240515_174010697.jpg
    PXL_20240515_174010697.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 103
  • PXL_20240515_174022878.jpg
    PXL_20240515_174022878.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 80
Step 3: I added in 20 pounds of Fiji Pink Arag-Alive! Sand, I used the algae scrapper to spread it around lol

Step 4: I added in 10 gallons of saltwater (1.023 sg), I used a water pump and hose to pour the water into a measuring cup that overflowed into the tank, the tank got a little cloudy but cleared up after a few hours.
 
I MESSED UP BIGTIME:

I have a rimless tank and did not put the leveling pad under the tank :anxious-face-with-sweat:

I now have to remove the 10 gallons water from the tank and try to slip the leveling pad under the tank...

Wish me luck
 
I also added about 8 more pounds of Arag-alive! sand to the tank before refilling, some areas of the tank have a sand bed as deep as 2 1/4".

I believe there's around 22 to 25 gallons of water in the tank.
 
Current tank Situation:

I just finished leveling the tank, it is now fully level.

Water is still kind of cloudy, Current water salinity is 1.021 SG and the water temperature is 73 degrees, I just turned on the heater and filter.

I know the picture of behind the tank is terrible quality, I tried using magic eraser to clean it up haha

The last picture shows my thermometer, I actually have it there to show my water line, its not really for tanking the tanks temperature
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20240519_150110968.jpg
    PXL_20240519_150110968.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 68
  • PXL_20240519_150235076~2.jpg
    PXL_20240519_150235076~2.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 85
  • PXL_20240519_150035057.jpg
    PXL_20240519_150035057.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 69
  • PXL_20240519_150027229.jpg
    PXL_20240519_150027229.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 63
  • PXL_20240519_150016422.jpg
    PXL_20240519_150016422.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 72
My water has cleared up after running the filter, I just tested the water parameters using API saltwater masterkit and a hanna salinity tester

pH: 7.8 to 8.0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
Salinity: 1.020 sg
Temperature: 77.8 (according to hanna) 78.2 (according to inkbird, I unplugged the heater a while ago if it matters, the inkbird thermometer is still in the water)
 
Its now time to start the cycle!

I added 100 Drops of Dr. Tim's Ammonium Chloride Solution, and removed the two filter sponges right after adding the drops in, the return pump is still on.

I let the return pump run for 5-10 minutes and tested my ammonia again:

Ammonia: 4ppm
 
About 10-15 minutes after adding the Ammonia I added 1oz of Fritz Turbo Start 900.
 
I tested my Ammonia one day later (its been a full 24~ hours since adding Ammonium chloride and Fritz turbo start.

Ammonia: 4ppm
 
Following along!
 
Its now 2 days later and I tested my Ammonia again:

Ammonia: 2ppm (the shade of green definitely looked lighter today)

Water Temperature: Fluctuating from 76.9 to 77.8

Salinity: 1.021 sg ( I have not added any water to the tank since the initial fill)
 
Day 4 test (tested a few hours earlier than normal)

Temperature: Went as low as 76.7 and as high as 78.8, its currently 78.7 (Inkbird was not reading properly)

Salinity: 1.021 sg

pH: 7.9 - 8.0

Ammonia: 1ppm

Nitrite: 5ppm

Nitrate: 20 ppm (could be 10 to 40ppm I have no idea what color this is lol)
 
Last edited:
Morning of day 6:

Really hoping to add my first fish today!

Notes:
- I added back in my two filter sponges
- I turned on the lights
- I topped of the tank with around 8 cups of saltwater but no increase in salinity

Temperature: 79.3 (78.8 to 79.5)

Salinity: 1.021

pH: 7.8 to 8.0

Ammonia: .25 to .50

Nitrite: 5ppm

Nitrate: 10ppm
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20240525_120347276.jpg
    PXL_20240525_120347276.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 55
  • PXL_20240525_120354780.jpg
    PXL_20240525_120354780.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 82
  • PXL_20240525_120401714.jpg
    PXL_20240525_120401714.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 60
  • PXL_20240525_120408800.jpg
    PXL_20240525_120408800.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 64
Nitrate might have climbed up to 20ppm I noticed the longer you keep it in the tube the higher it gets. Yesterday I left it in for 8~ just to see and it turned red towards the end
 
Day 10 of cycle:

Salinity: 1.022 sg

Temperature: 79.3 (I think it fluctuates between 77 to 80)

pH: 8

Ammonia: 0 ppm

Nitrite: 5 ppm

Nitrate: 40ppm
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 19.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 2.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new