32 gallon Biocube with custom sump

Garrett Keller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a bit late on the build thread seeing I'm 2 1/2 years late. This is my first reef tank and I started with a standard Biocube (32 gallon AIO). The more research I did, I found that everyone recommended more water volume for stability. I decided to try making my own custom sump to fit in my stand. It added an extra 10 gallons to my total volume. It also gave me a place for a bigger skimmer and the option to grow macro algae. Here's what I have accomplished with the help of #Reef2reef 20190429_200114.jpg

reeferJMX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks great.
I am a bit late on the build thread seeing I'm 2 1/2 years late. This is my first reef tank and I started with a standard Biocube (32 gallon AIO). The more research I did, I found that everyone recommended more water volume for stability. I decided to try making my own custom sump to fit in my stand. It added an extra 10 gallons to my total volume. It also gave me a place for a bigger skimmer and the option to grow macro algae. Here's what I have accomplished with the help of #Reef2reef

Hello, I'm new to this forum. I'm interested on the total cost to make this happen? I've only had my tank for less than a year, and even with weekly 5 gallons water changes, I'd like to get my water parameters more stable by adding a sump, and a protein skimmer. I have the stock Coralife stand to use.

OP
OP
Garrett Keller

Garrett Keller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been extremely busy lately and haven't had much time to spend here on Reef2Reef. I know there are a lot of people curious how I was able to add a sump without drilling my tank. One thing I didn't want to do was to drill holes in a tank that I may get rid of in the near future. I also wanted to keep my lid intact to cut down on evaporation because I heat with wood pellets and the air is extremely dry. So, this weekend I am going to do a point and shoot update on my setup. I will post it here on my build thread and also on my YouTube channel = Garrett Keller.

OP
OP
Garrett Keller

Garrett Keller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks great.

Hello, I'm new to this forum. I'm interested on the total cost to make this happen? I've only had my tank for less than a year, and even with weekly 5 gallons water changes, I'd like to get my water parameters more stable by adding a sump, and a protein skimmer. I have the stock Coralife stand to use.

I have been AFK for awhile and apologize I didn't see your message earlier. Ill touch on your question in my update video. Thanks.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back