33g cube glofish tank (well there is *some* salt in the water)

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! Ok, so it's not a reef, but it does share a lot of parts!

I was showing my newish girlfriend around the fish store, gradually introducing her to the hobby and we turned a corner and she saw them. Glofish. She was speechless and just stared at them before finally saying "I want some!"

Now who is going to pass at the chance to introduce a significant other into the hobby?!? I had some extra money so I set her up with what could be the fanciest glofish tank in the world. Haha!

Started with an aquamaxx 33g low iron cube. Picked up glass holes in and out kit and drilled it for the overflow and return. Spaced the overflow down so there would be at least 1.5" between water level and edge. For sump got a Mr aqua 12" cube and a biocube 32 designer stand. A regular 10g tank won't fit in the stand, but the top dimension fit the 33 cube almost perfectly.

She saw some commerical tanks with a mirrored background she really liked. So I put 2 coats of mirror tint on the back wall. Gives a soft mirror, which shouldn't bother the fish and hides the overflow. If it does can always remove it.

Got a clip on filter sock, eheim heater, lifeguard return pump (~100-150gph at head height) and a gooseneck with a 1500 lumen led light from HD to grow water lettuce as our iowa water is really bad. Ceramic media and marine pure strip finish the sump.

Found a cool driftwood at the lfs, put it on some more slate from HD to raise it a bit. Black sand and some neat purple sparkled rock form lfs I thought would be good with the blueish light to make glofish pop. Have to stack a bit more slate on the wood for now as it floats despite slate base.

This should be a pretty sweet tank for her without crazy work on her part. We just got 30 tetra for it.

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_8556.JPG
Here is just testing the background with some wood had lying around. Light is a wave point led. Pretty bright and great finish of the metal on glass for $40 ish.

Got the foam mat cut and with the sump. Can tell a big difference between regular glass sump and low iron display! Nice the Mr aqua came with foam on bottom.

IMG_8578.JPG

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the biocube 32 stand. The doors have smoked acrylic, so painted the back of the doors black because the refugium light was bright. Also the lateral stability of the stand wasn't great to me so I took the shelf and cut it in strips and screwed it along the back and a piece in the front counter sunk screws so they are flush. Looks just fine and rock solid.

Now with fish! It should clear up in next few days even more.
IMG_8607.JPG

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! She is really thrilled and bringing her in the hobby (addiction) is so much fun.

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it needs a little circulation, but it's my art and I just can't bring myself to have a cord coming out.... so I got a mp10qd.... now this has to be the fanciest glofish tank....

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back