34g Deep Sea Waterfall Build

Palyzoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey errybody,

So the wife and I are finally getting settled in our new home and I think it's about that time to start building some of the systems I want to put into the new fish room ;Happy. Yes, I finally have a fish room after all these years of renting! So stoked!!! So for my first build I decided to go with the 34g Deep Sea Waterfall Aquarium. My old LFS used to have one right when you walk in the door and I loved that tank. They would put all kinds of frags and coral in there with no order to the madness just all thrown together on the rock and rubble. You never knew what you were going to find looking in there. I've found many of my favorite frags hiding in there pinned under rock and rubble. Anyway, I was stoked when @parroki, randomly had one for sale!
The 34 deep sea tank is perfect for my first build because I needed to set up a more stable system sooner rather than later and I basically had all the pieces needed. I recently shut down my 29bio cube and moved everything into a 20l with HOB filter for the move. You will see in the pics below, I set up the 20l on a metal shelving unit I bought from Home Depot.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c3f.jpg

You can see the 34g Deep sea tank almost ready for plumbing.
It wasn't the smoothest house move I've done and I put the tank on hold for a while until things settled down. Then one weekend day I was in the fish room and it clicked, I have everything for this build and I've got nothing going on this weekend, let's do this!

Tank Equip:
34g Deep Sea
10g acrylic sump
Cheap acrylic skimmer (but it skims pretty well)
Phosban reactor
Apex Jr.
VDM with Jebao variable speed adapter
JbJ ATO
Aqua illumination Prime LED
Mag-7 with ball valve installed for fine dialing flow
2x Jebao RW-4
Jebao Dp-4 doser

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c61.jpg

It's a bit crowded but a work in progress. Here are some pics of the Sump..
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c7c.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c7b.jpg

Jebao Doser
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c78.jpg

and some Live stock shots, I apologize for the Blue and Cloudy Pictures. I had been running bare bottom since day 1 and just today decided to add the crushed coral substrate. Bare bottom Tank just doesn't feel the same...
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c5f.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c60.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c62.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c75.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c77.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c6a.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c6b.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c67.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c69.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c72.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c73.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c74.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c76.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Palyzoa

Palyzoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I have some ideas in mind already for upgrades and mods :p.
Also thinking about what other live stock I want to add. So far Im thinking about a 4 line wrasse, a blenny of some sort, Purple fire fish, and some different cool inverts.

OP
OP
Palyzoa

Palyzoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude looks great! Nice little start!

Maybe we will find some cool stuff in Lexington this weekend!!! [emoji41]

Thanks!
I'm looking forward to the swap for sure. I got a fever, and the only cure is more coral!

seaplane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and someone won an NEPTUNE SYSTEMS APEX AQUARIUM CONTROLLER - EB832, TEMP PROBE, SALINITY PROBE, DOUBLE JUNCTION LAB PH & LAB at the show!
I'll trade ya, this umm sweet? birdy for it.
aug2016.png

OP
OP
Palyzoa

Palyzoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked it up used from a local aquatic company here in Knoxville. Im not sure if they are still manufacturing this specific tank anymore. You could try searching the company name, Deep sea Aquatics, I think most places discontinued them now.

OP
OP
Palyzoa

Palyzoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Good and the bad. The tank is stabilizing again after I had an Alk spike. Current Parameters are, Alk-8.5, Ca-450, Mag-1420, Nitrate-10, Phosphate-.25, Salinity at 1.025.

I've added DIY T5 supplementation a few weeks ago, most of the corals acclimated just fine but some seem to be annoyed with the increased lighting schedule.

Most corals seem to be in good health, however, a few of my corals are declining since the addition of T5 plus the Alk swing I had.

Fish all seem to be happy! I've been trying to get my Anemone to host my clowns but my Domino damsel has taken a liking to the anemone instead :confused:. See pics below.

The waterfall portion of the tank is acting as an algae scrubber, which is a cool plus I wasn't expecting with this setup. I just scrape off the algae every so often during a water change.

Im working on cord management next as it's a mess right now. Also thinking about upgrading my sump to a DIY 20L or bigger.

That's all for now, here are some pics from around my reef ;)

MAW_1417.jpg
MAW_1433.jpg
MAW_1434.jpg
MAW_1441.jpg
MAW_1445.jpg
MAW_1447.jpg
MAW_1450.jpg
MAW_1454.jpg
MAW_1455.jpg
MAW_1458.jpg
MAW_1470.jpg
MAW_1473.jpg
MAW_1476.jpg
MAW_1479.jpg
MAW_1490.jpg
MAW_1493.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back